Ag Recession ?

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjan":xj52qp7u said:
True Grit; I am sure commercial fishing is very hard work. I don't think I would have wanted to do it, nor could I have done it, when I was young and stronger/healthier. And if farming is like a day off for you, then that is great. I also suspect you are younger than me and probably many of the posters on CT. I hope for your sake that you don't get the joint issues and pain that I have because there are days that it is a real struggle to get up and get going. And it seemed that it hit me nearly all at once. That is what is so frustrating.
With cattle most things can be paced or put off till tomorrow if need be. The cows are fence in and can't get away. The government tells us how many fish we can catch per trip, where we can fish, and when the season ends. What you miss one day is gone forever. Anyone who has a job works hard, even school teachers.

I surely didn't mean that any job can't be one that a person works hard at. Just that some are more "physically" hard than others. Teaching will not wear out or "hurt" your joints like say fishing or farming.. or logging or other things like that. But it would mentally wear me out so fast I would fall apart!!!!! But it's just that after you retire or slow down from say teaching, or being an office worker, you can continue to do more physically than when you have used and abused your body physically. But then there are other issues from all that sitting or standing in one place....

Why is land unaffordable? well.. I'd say it's because of stupid low interest rates.. and the idea that land price should double every 10 years.. yet the price of the goods sold has stayed stagnant for decades.. When we bought cows in 1991 prices for steers was about $1.25/lb.. nearly 30 years later it's 2.25/lb.
However, when we bought the steers, gas was $.40/liter, now it's $1.40, and the same for everything else.. In the rare cases something didn't go up in price, the quality of it went down instead.. Maybe 30 years ago you bought a wrench for $5.00, but it was a quality item, now it's still $5.00 but is made in china and a piece of garbage.

'yet the price of the goods sold has stayed stagnant for decades' which somehow, is very different than "the price of goods bought'. /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

greybeard":2f7i6y21 said:
'yet the price of the goods sold has stayed stagnant for decades' which somehow, is very different than "the price of goods bought'. /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
Isn't it funny that in 2012 when the price of commodities hit there peak that the price of food doubled. Now after 6 years of falling prices, the price of food still hasn't dropped back down to pre2012 prices, even though commodities have? :lol:

Nesikep":2l9cnyyi said:
Why is land unaffordable?

Becasue usually the price is not based on the current earnings it can generate. In a few rare cases here you can upgrade or convert land so it will cash flow. I did it once in a row, currently struggling to repeat.

Better row crop land (I don't own any) is priced for a couple percent of operating return, and some appreciation, for a historical total return of 7 to 10%. All government subsides are factored in to the operating return.

sim.-ang.king":axymyzgr said:
greybeard":axymyzgr said:
Isn't it funny that in 2012 when the price of commodities hit there peak that the price of food doubled. Now after 6 years of falling prices, the price of food still hasn't dropped back down to pre2012 prices, even though commodities have? :lol:
Long time no see

Yeah, same can be said of fuel prices... When we had the last price peak the barrel was worth $140 and we had $1.50/l fuel, then it went down to $40/barrel and pump price went down to $1.00/L.. Now it's up a little again, but our pump price is already back to $1.50 again.. god help us when it hits $140 a barrel again!

Latest posts