Ag lime vs pelletized

Help Support CattleToday:

I have never used pelletized, but from my understanding it is more of a quick, short term use product. Melon producers use pelletized frequently. Conventional breaks down slower, so its effects should last for years, as opposed to pelletized, which I believe are good for one year approximately.

So, to answer your question, what is the end result you are seeking? Quick short term= pellets long term= standard.

That's pretty much it, pelletized is ground finer so it reacts with the soil faster but "wears off" faster too.
It also costs 10x as much as good ag lime.

Could use pelletized now to get a quick start then Ag lime in the spring.

A factor of convenience has not been mentioned. You can get the pelletized lime mixed into your fertilizer mix at the Mayslick Mill. Many use it here for their hayfield. They order their buggy with the pelletized lime in the fertilizer so one application does it all.

jedstivers":tjes62iq said:
For the money's worth Ag lime all day long.
All that quick fix stuff does is fix someone else's bank act.

Pretty much sums it up right there. Applies to just about everything in my experience. Price of convenience.

I suppose it has it's place for gardens and food plots, for people without the means or need to spread large amounts of lime. But at 10x the cost of good quality ag lime, pellet makes no sense for me.

Cam Ag lime be put on hay fields after it is growing?
I was told that I had to disk it in to get it to work. If I put it on top it was a wast of money.
Thanks Jeff

JeffK-MN":1fvr1i1q said:
Cam Ag lime be put on hay fields after it is growing?
I was told that I had to disk it in to get it to work. If I put it on top it was a wast of money.
Thanks Jeff
Its is spread on grass here anytime the ground is dry enough to get the trucks on. If you need over 2 ton per acre it is best to disk it in.

Pelletized lime is primarily just ag lime, processed and pelletized. More money, but the same product.
In our area, lime top dressed onto grassland works Okay. it may take a bit of rainfall to move the calcium down far enough to be effective, but many of our pastures are in for the long term, so time is not that big of a concern. Just lime on a regular basis.

Latest posts