Afterbirth

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
I had a calf born a week ago tomorrow, Thursday. The cow still has had a string from her rear to the ground ever since. After a few days it started looking dried out. Checked her today and it looked fresh, slightly reddish and moist with a small red ball hanging near the ground. A few minutes later the ball was gone but still the string. I'm new to cattle but I've had about a dozen calves born on my place and this has never happened. Can anyone shed some light on what's going on and how concerned I should be?

The cow is a middle aged cow and she is acting normal best I can tell. Active and eating. Calf is doing great. Thanks guys

kenny thomas":19ydxzr3 said:
If it looks fresh it is still shedding. Un less she shows some sign of a problem just leave her alone. It should finish passing soon.
And use a balanced mineral program for your cows, that usually precludes any retained AB.

I never worry about them unless the cow starts to look sick. Never pull on it. I've found that when we have a cow retain their afterbirth its caused from a couple things, difficult birth, preemie, or twins. The calf can be a preemie and you not know. If you noticed that their hair was straight and a little shorter than usual, it could have been a tad premature.

I'm using a crystalyx mineral, spelling may be off. I've got a mixture of high mag and the copper version out now. The cows were getting a reddish tinge hence the high copper mineral and I've got the high mag out due to all the rye and fescue. My pasture is the greenest thing you'd hope to see right now. Hopefully those suffice as they came recommended by some guys I trust.
dun":2hqq5t1i said:
kenny thomas":2hqq5t1i said:
If it looks fresh it is still shedding. Un less she shows some sign of a problem just leave her alone. It should finish passing soon.
And use a balanced mineral program for your cows, that usually precludes any retained AB.

Premature is possible. This calf is tiny, I'd say 60 lbs at birth tops and maybe quite less. It's the first one out of the limo bull I bought. I noticed nothing different about the hair on the calf. It's by far the most active calf I've had, I haven't caught the thing napping since it's first couple of days. Hopefully that's a good sign.
cowgirl8":2l2d7z56 said:
I never worry about them unless the cow starts to look sick. Never pull on it. I've found that when we have a cow retain their afterbirth its caused from a couple things, difficult birth, preemie, or twins. The calf can be a preemie and you not know. If you noticed that their hair was straight and a little shorter than usual, it could have been a tad premature.

jallen":29ktxbkg said:
I'm using a crystalyx mineral, spelling may be off. I've got a mixture of high mag and the copper version out now. The cows were getting a reddish tinge hence the high copper mineral and I've got the high mag out due to all the rye and fescue. My pasture is the greenest thing you'd hope to see right now. Hopefully those suffice as they came recommended by some guys I trust.
dun":29ktxbkg said:
kenny thomas":29ktxbkg said:
That should do it. There will always be the occasioanl retained AB but most of the ones I've seen have been from a poor mineral (or no mineral) program or cows that are just in really poor body condition. A neighbor has almost all of his cows with them, no minerals PLUS they are about a BCS of 3 or 4

I agree with Dun that your mineral should be ok. Also as cowgirl says sometimes I see it with twins. I have not had a case of it except with twins since I got on a good mineral program. Mine is Chrystlyx also.

We haven;t had it twins, but the cow that aborted on april fools day had a little bit hanging for several before she cleaned completely. That's the only one we've had in 15 years.

I will give them a gentle tug/pull. If there's any resistance, leave it. But, sometimes, it's detached, with the bulk of it just lying there in the uterus, over the pelvic brim - just needs a little change in momentum to cause it to come spilling out.

dun":dkjflz6p said:
We haven;t had it twins, but the cow that aborted on april fools day had a little bit hanging for several before she cleaned completely. That's the only one we've had in 15 years.
Aborting is another reason they retain them, anything before its time, abort or preemie.

Lucky_P":50a5arnb said:
I will give them a gentle tug/pull. If there's any resistance, leave it. But, sometimes, it's detached, with the bulk of it just lying there in the uterus, over the pelvic brim - just needs a little change in momentum to cause it to come spilling out.
I usually tie a knot in what is hanging out, it gives it a little weight it seems, and keeps them from stepping on it and pulling it with too much force.

Branguscowgirl, that's a pretty good idea... Since I've got with a high selenium mineral, I haven't had any this year, and we usually had a couple a year.

jallen, Check to see what the selenium content of your mix is... The highest allowable is about 125mg/kg I think, and that is what I'm using... Some cows are chronic placenta retainers as well.. If she's the only one, I wouldn't look too closely at the selenium content unless it becomes more frequent. That is a small calf so maybe it was a bit early... my cows are always LATE... with 290 days not being uncommon.

That damn thing is still hanging on. At what point do I need to be concerned. The cow seems to be doing just fine.

I personally would have the vet out to clean her out and pack her with boluses. It is just a wick for bacteria to make it's way in. But that's me.

We had one hold onto hers for 6 days, we had spoken to the vet who said to call back after a week. Thanks to the cow for saving us some $$. I would like to know what you end up doing, Thanks!

The afterbirth was gone yesterday. I had a call into my vet but when I got home and checked her it was gone. Problem solved

Latest posts