Afterbirth

Help Support CattleToday:

shorty

Reaction score
I had a cow that calved on thursday, calf is fine , cow didn't clean yet , there's about a foot or so of afterbirth hanging out . How long should I wait before I call the vet , someone told me once it could take up to 2 weeks, I've never seen it more than a day or two. I just don't want to wait untill it's too late.

As long as the cow is doing fine I'ld leave it alone. You could give her a shot of oxytocin but I'ld give it a bit longer before doing that.

dun

Then we try to clean, put in uterine bolus. If it's possible put unpasturized cider vinegar in water of dry cows before calving. Since we started we have very very small amout of RA.

dun":2v6dnvgt said:
As long as the cow is doing fine I'ld leave it alone. You could give her a shot of oxytocin but I'ld give it a bit longer before doing that.

dun
Did you mean Oxytocin or Lutalyse? We give Oxy at the time of calving if we have an assisted birth (as soon as we get the calf out). If retained placenta, we will give Lut 7-10 days after calving to help her clean out.

We used ocytocin to get the uterus contracting and to help it envolute (sp) back to normal.

dun

Does the Lute really have an effect? Isn't it just the enzymes doiing their job and the shedding of the afterbirth after the lute is just coincidence?

Keep in mind oxytocin isn't effective after 48 hours post partum, unless the uterus is resensitized with estrogen. When the reproductive tract is under the influence of progesterone (all times except during heat cycles and around calving), oxy will only stimulate milk letdown, not cause uterine contractions.

Lute has two uses; regression of the CL (causes a cow to come into heat if she's currently cycling), and smooth muscle contractions. Smooth muscles include both the uterus, and to a certain extent, the lungs. (That's the reason for the warning label - shouldn't be handled by pregnant women or people with asthema.) So yes, Lute does help a cow to clean, because it will cause uterine contractions. I've used a series of Lute - 5mL every 12 hours for 2-3 days - with success on cows with retained placentas. When Lute doesn't work, oxy + ECP (estrogen) will usually do the trick.

Thank you for a very informative answer. I assume the same applies for Estrumate as it is also a PGF2, its just a synthetic one where the Lutalyse is a natural one, if I remember correctly.

If the afterbirth came out (after 5 days, the heifer that aborted at 6 months bred) would there still be any advantage in giving lute?

Knersie -yes, it will help. Even tho she has sluffed the visible afterbirth, there are always little piecies left behind. And, yes the bodies natural "bugs" will take care of it. But the Lut will help her clean out any infection in the uterus.
Even if the cow didn't retain her placenta, if you see pussy discharge - hit her with Lut.
Thank you Milkmaid - you're explaination is SOOOO much clearer than what I said.
I don't boggle my brain with the whys - thats hubbys job - I just know WHAT he uses & WHEN. (well, most of the time I remember :p )

KNERSIE":1ktvzut5 said:
Jeanne, would it be a case of the sooner the better?
Losing my mind - I could have sworn I already answered this yesterday. But, it's not here, so:
My vet recommends giving Lut 7-10 days after calving. I think Milkmaid said she gave it every 12 hours or every day for a few days for a retained placenta on another thread. She's our "pro". Study's & retains EVERYTHING!!! Might PM her.

Latest posts