After the sale barn

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
Now befor we get into an argument about buying from a sell please keep those comments to yourself..Because i cant afford to spend a extra 3 to 400 dollars on a cow from a neighbor or some one else...ok heres the question.I am going to buy 2 cow/calf pairs from a nice sale about 60 miles from home.i am not plannin on buying a sick pair but when i get them home i would like to give them a booster or something to prevent illness.I have acces to a chute any help will be appreciated..

If they are good cattle usually they come with Vacc certs, but you can get them done right there 8way is the bare min. Make sure it includes black leg, IBR and BVD if they are bred do a killed vacc. only. BTW if you went to a local producer you would most likely pay the same as at an auction mart ,not less, as you are saving the seller the hauling and paying the commission. However, you can still get crap from a local breeder..

Good luck, and you can call your regular LA vet for some heads up on what to look for ..Usually it will be a free call.

Post pics when you get them, and if you have other cattle quarantine these for a while..

Dixieangus":3tq4wzvu said:
I am going to buy 2 cow/calf pairs from a nice sale about 60 miles from home.i am not plannin on buying a sick pair but when i get them home i would like to give them a booster or something to prevent illness.I have acces to a chute any help will be appreciated..

Hit them with a good broad-spectrum antibiotic(probably need to talk to your vet about which one, it's been long enough since we had cattle that I am not up to speed on the current antibiotics), or feed something like Auromycin crumbles for a week. If you have any other animals, it would be a very good idea to keep the new ones isolated for at least 30 days, and 60 is better. By isolated, I mean a good 50 foot(or more, if possible) distance between the new ones and your present herd.

around here they tell whose cattle they are when they come into the ring. if they don't i would ask whose they are & if anything is wrong with them. if the owner is not there you can figure something is wrong.

jerry27150":rgkfgyw8 said:
around here they tell whose cattle they are when they come into the ring. if they don't i would ask whose they are & if anything is wrong with them. if the owner is not there you can figure something is wrong.
Great Advice !!! :tiphat:

jerry27150":y35klkbk said:
if the owner is not there you can figure something is wrong.
BULL PUCKEY. I have better things to do then sit around the sale barn for 8-12 hours waiting for my stuff to sell the few times we take anything to the salebarn.

jerry27150":kc1f7wov said:
So true if the animal wasn't worth the time for the owner to stand behind what they are selling it probably ain't worth buying.

options":41bspi7d said:
jerry27150":41bspi7d said:
So true if the animal wasn't worth the time for the owner to stand behind what they are selling it probably ain't worth buying.

This is ridiculous! I'm with Dun. I've got too much to do to sit at the sale barn all day to watch one of my own cows sell.
On another note...Ive never heard of anyone "standing behind" an auction barn purchase anyway. If you want true breeding stock with a guarantee go to the rancher directly.

bigag03":ibech0ok said:
options":ibech0ok said:
jerry27150":ibech0ok said:

This is ridiculous! I'm with Dun. I've got too much to do to sit at the sale barn all day to watch one of my own cows sell.
On another note...Ive never heard of anyone "standing behind" an auction barn purchase anyway. If you want true breeding stock with a guarantee go to the rancher directly.
Maybe sitting around the salebarn all day takes the place of the visit to the coffee shop or the barber shop

personally i hate being at a sale barn most of the day too. but around here if you are not there to tell about your animals you can figure on taking a big cut. but not being a gossip or coffee drinker i go out & help sort & move cattle. my father always said to watch the guys that try to farm it & spend time in a coffee shop, cause they won't be farming for too long unless they have money from some other source & a hired man

bigag03":2ajmvh66 said:
options":2ajmvh66 said:
jerry27150":2ajmvh66 said:

So you are telling me you have never seen a producer stand up and represent the animals he or she is selling at auction? Also I can't imagine why a person would need to spend all day at the sale barn, waiting to watch their cattle sell. Does the auction barn not have a sale order?

options":1yr9offx said:
]So you are telling me you have never seen a producer stand up and represent the animals he or she is selling at auction? Also I can't imagine why a person would need to spend all day at the sale barn, waiting to watch their cattle sell. Does the auction barn not have a sale order?
Once they get to feeder calves it's first in and first out, then come the cows, same deal. I've had calves not sell till 2 am for the saturday sale. For the Monday sale it's not unusaul for them to sell around 6-7 pm
The auctioneer reads whatever is on the ticket. Any informaiton you want told you have them put it on the ticket

dun":2mt2nhho said:
options":2mt2nhho said:
]So you are telling me you have never seen a producer stand up and represent the animals he or she is selling at auction? Also I can't imagine why a person would need to spend all day at the sale barn, waiting to watch their cattle sell. Does the auction barn not have a sale order?
Once they get to feeder calves it's first in and first out, then come the cows, same deal. I've had calves not sell till 2 am for the saturday sale. For the Monday sale it's not unusaul for them to sell around 6-7 pm
I assumed all sale barns had a printed sale order showing sale order and owners name and description of animals being sold. I guess some auctions are somewhat behind the curve.

dun":3pxpgkcq said:

Pretty much the same at the place where I have taken most of mine. I have sat there once or twice waiting for sale time.

When animals are brought to the place I referred to, they take down the contact information of the owner and any other info you care to tell them. When animals are purchased, be it one or 100, the name and info of the buyer is recorded as well. when the 'check' arrives, on the other half is the name of the purchaser or a 'code' for the purchaser.

Katherine

options":3fwqac2z said:
dun":3fwqac2z said:
options":3fwqac2z said:
I assumed all sale barns had a printed sale order showing sale order and owners name and description of animals being sold. I guess some auctions are somewhat behind the curve.

Running 5-6k head a day with them coming in all throughout the day a sale order like you're talking about would be a real circus. Production or producer sales are the only ones I've seen that have anything like that.

dun":1kqs8qgm said:
Running 5-6k head a day with them coming in all throughout the day a sale order like you're talking about would be a real circus. Production or producer sales are the only ones I've seen that have anything like that.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Dispersals and production/replacement sales (where I go) will have a list. Otherwise its as I posted before.

Katherine

dun":3jgim8xg said:
I guess they do things like a circus then in the Dakotas, because they will give you a sale order just like I stated before the sale and yes they run 5-6 k a day and it doesn't take them into the wee hours of the morning like the barn you speak of.

So you are telling me you have never seen a producer stand up and represent the animals he or she is selling at auction?
Nope, not at a weekly auction.
Also I can't imagine why a person would need to spend all day at the sale barn, waiting to watch their cattle sell. Does the auction barn not have a sale order?
As Dun said, first in first out. Most of the check out tickets will tell who the seller was, but you generally don't know when they come in the ring. Too many cattle to talk about every head that comes through.

For guys that have done their homework and are bringing cattle that they expect a premium on, there are special feeder calf sales and replacement female sales that will provide all of the information. Weekly sales are "as is". What you see is what you get.

bigag03":1bqvy9ml said:
So you are telling me you have never seen a producer stand up and represent the animals he or she is selling at auction?
Nope, not at a weekly auction.
Also I can't imagine why a person would need to spend all day at the sale barn, waiting to watch their cattle sell. Does the auction barn not have a sale order?
As Dun said, first in first out. Most of the check out tickets will tell who the seller was, but you generally don't know when they come in the ring. Too many cattle to talk about every head that comes through.

For guys that have done their homework and are bringing cattle that they expect a premium on, there are special feeder calf sales and replacement female sales that will provide all of the information. Weekly sales are "as is". What you see is what you get.
Weekly auctions are what I speak of.

I'm guessing the reason you never see it at the weekly auctions you attend, has less to do with the number of head, but more the fact that most cattle at the auctions you attend are not uniform lots. Seems a person could possibly leave alot laying on the table with selling at the weekly auctions you attend.

Even more thought provoking why would a buyer attend those auctions and buy anything without knowing anymore than what they can see. I would compare that to buying a car with nothing more than seeing a picture. But I guess it happens all the time on the internet.

Latest posts