After the sale barn

Help Support CattleToday:

options":19skbczm said:
Even more thought provoking why would a buyer attend those auctions and buy anything without knowing anymore than what they can see. I would compare that to buying a car with nothing more than seeing a picture. But I guess it happens all the time on the internet.

Looking for a bottom dollar bargain. Wanting to buy good brood cows at kill price.

Check out the other threads on sale barn cows. If you have a local sale barn that is able to group cattle and put a sale order together, then you have a pretty special deal. I think in those other threads you will see stories of the kind of sale barns that I am familiar with. These sale barns are still the best place for people with small herds (or small loads of cattle) to market their cattle. Order buyers then try to piece together load lots from all of the cattle. These sale barns are even a great place to find good cows in times of drought when people are liquidating whole herds, but as said on the other threads, be knowledgeable about the things to look for, and as always...buyer beware.

I have no problem buying from a sale barn. Half my herd (27 head) came from a sale barn. The other half from local farmers, friends, neighbors (32 head). Although i have the convienance to keep them seperated as per age group, feed group, new comers, old timers. you get the point. When they hit 800lbs they go to the sale barn.

We have 3 local auction house within 20 miles of me. In the past i have had cow\calves die on me, but in the last 5 years my death ratio is null. Even though i am known to pull a boner every now and then. Buy from the sale barn. Sell at the sale barn. Good money made there.

I don not sit and watch my cattle sell. There are no sale bills for the auctions around here. the auctioneer will read your sale bill for vac, worming schedule, banded, cast, bla bla bla.

Im all steers for now. soon things will be changeing.

Beckett

Beckett":36sb4vcp said:
I have no problem buying from a sale barn. Half my herd (27 head) came from a sale barn. The other half from local farmers, friends, neighbors (32 head). Although i have the convienance to keep them seperated as per age group, feed group, new comers, old timers. you get the point. When they hit 800lbs they go to the sale barn.

We have 3 local auction house within 20 miles of me. In the past i have had cow\calves die on me, but in the last 5 years my death ratio is null. Even though i am known to pull a boner every now and then. Buy from the sale barn. Sell at the sale barn. Good money made there.

I don not sit and watch my cattle sell. There are no sale bills for the auctions around here. the auctioneer will read your sale bill for vac, worming schedule, banded, cast, bla bla bla.

Im all steers for now. soon things will be changeing.

Beckett
I have no problem buying cattle from a sale barn either, however the difference I am seeing is I have lots of information about the cattle and their owner, along with seeing the cattle as well.

In addition to that I know within a half hour give or take when they will sell. I guess I am very lucky with how accomodating the owners of the auctions I attend are in respect to buyers and sellers. Customer satisfaction is high on their list I guess.

jerry27150":vu7tx2cu said:
around here they tell whose cattle they are when they come into the ring.

Yeah, so?

if they don't i would ask whose they are & if anything is wrong with them.

Duh!! Of course there is something wrong with them, otherwise they would not be at the salebarn! :roll:

if the owner is not there you can figure something is wrong.

Yeah, right. :roll: :roll:

dun":e0aw2w2i said:
jerry27150":e0aw2w2i said:
BULL PUCKEY. I have better things to do then sit around the sale barn for 8-12 hours waiting for my stuff to sell the few times we take anything to the salebarn.

Same here. Dump them and leave them. They will send out a check in the mail the same day.

grannysoo":3bbgko4d said:
dun":3bbgko4d said:
jerry27150":3bbgko4d said:
BULL PUCKEY. I have better things to do then sit around the sale barn for 8-12 hours waiting for my stuff to sell the few times we take anything to the salebarn.

Same here. Dump them and leave them. They will send out a check in the mail the same day.

I agree grannysoo. That is what I do.

when people say that a cow at a sale barn has to have something wrong with it that is ridiculous. what about the rancher that finds himself cash strapped and takes a few head in.where else can u sale a product and get paid on the same day? what about the retiring rancher who does not want to advertise his cattle and deal with all the lookers and cheapskates? he just wants to sale them all at one time and get paid.there are many more times when cattle are sold at auction and they are not sick.i do agree that u need to be cautious when buying salebarn cattle,but does that mean u can be careless when u buy direct?

piedmontese":3qc059gy said:
when people say that a cow at a sale barn has to have something wrong with it that is ridiculous. what about the rancher that finds himself cash strapped and takes a few head in.where else can u sale a product and get paid on the same day? what about the retiring rancher who does not want to advertise his cattle and deal with all the lookers and cheapskates? he just wants to sale them all at one time and get paid.there are many more times when cattle are sold at auction and they are not sick.i do agree that u need to be cautious when buying salebarn cattle,but does that mean u can be careless when u buy direct?

You didn't mention estate sales. Its pretty common for an entire herd to be dispersed at a sale barn.

I've bought cattle at sales that turned out to be great cows...but other than visual observations, you still don't have a clue what you are going to end up with until after the fact and there are no guarantees. Everything black ain't angus, everythign spotted ain't holstein and everything black with ear ain't brangus....good luck.

Latest posts