After grass is cut - When to rake? And when to bale?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Angus/Brangus":23le0hmi said:
When is the proper time to rake and to bale grass (Bermuda)AFTER its been cut? Some balers just look at it, some test with a moisture meter, some twist it in their hands(?) and then there's the microwave test. I don't see any info on this on any of the previous posts. Thanks!

It's a learned art. After you lose a whole crop of hay once, you will figure it out. :lol:

Each type of grass is different too. ;-)

From my experience. With grass you can't get it too dry. Alfalfa is a different story. Get it too dry you'll shed leaves(protein). Too wet and you'll have a big black brick :) . Then you have the rain factor :lol: . Never a dull moment!

Angus/Brangus":3ddoufpx said:
When is the proper time to rake and to bale grass (Bermuda)AFTER its been cut? Some balers just look at it, some test with a moisture meter, some twist it in their hands(?) and then there's the microwave test. I don't see any info on this on any of the previous posts. Thanks!

You have quite a few variables to look at. The tempature of the weather, the humidity of the weather. The thickness of the grass. Here in East Texas, I can cut Bermuda and bale two days after cutting. This is of course you are looking at a low humidity and a tempature of 100 degrees.

The rule I learned is to pick up a 2" wad of the hay and hold one end tight in one hand. Twist it like you were turning a crank with the other. As soon as it will break on the third twist rake it and run the baler right behind the rake.Z

I raise orchard grass for a horse market. I put up about 2500 tons per year. I bale my orchard grass in the heat of the day. I start as soon as the dew burns off. I want the grass to dry to 10 to 12% moisture max, usually lower. Any more moisture and you will get brown and moldy flakes.
I rake the windrows together just in front of the baler. I do this only because whirlwinds tend to scatter the hay if I rake it in the morning and leave it for several hours.

I pick some up and throw it in the air. If it spreads out and somewhat floats to ground it is a good sign - if it falls straight to ground and stays together - let it dry some more. If first test is successful, pick a piece and bend it in two. If it cracks, its ready. If it is still pliable wait. Also, once you bale the first - feel the first roll. The compression of the baler can sometimes bring out additional moisture these "tests" missed. If hay is going in a barn, I moisture test it as well. Tester is cheaper than a barn.

If the bales are warm or hot inside the next morning it wasn't dry enough to bale. :)

Latest posts