After Birth

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My dads heifer had a calf two days ago and today she still had the afterbirth hanging out to the ground. I pulled on it and some came out then broke off. Does this mean she has retained the Placenta and should I be concerned at this point? Thank You!

Rachel
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Sorry, I didn't see the other Rachel. I am Rachel Ann.

> My dads heifer had a calf two days
> ago and today she still had the
> afterbirth hanging out to the
> ground. I pulled on it and some
> came out then broke off. Does this
> mean she has retained the Placenta
> and should I be concerned at this
> point? Thank You!

> Rachel
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Never just pull on the afterbirth! If it is still hangin fairly low, tie it up so that it is in a knot at about the height of her rear udder. That will allow the weight of it to pull it as it disconnects from the uterus. If she starts to run a temp it would be best to contact your local large animal vet.

dun

> My dads heifer had a calf two days
> ago and today she still had the
> afterbirth hanging out to the
> ground. I pulled on it and some
> came out then broke off. Does this
> mean she has retained the Placenta
> and should I be concerned at this
> point? Thank You!

> Rachel
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Thank you Dunmovin! I got her temperature taken and it was 101.4 most the tissue that was hanging out is gone except for a little piece about six inches long. Is this temp a little high? The part I pulled off yesterday left my hands smelling really bad, but I didn't notice the smell now. I think it might have been from urine running down the tissue. I will keep an eye on her. Thanks for taking the time to help!

Rachel Ann

> Never just pull on the afterbirth!
> If it is still hangin fairly low,
> tie it up so that it is in a knot
> at about the height of her rear
> udder. That will allow the weight
> of it to pull it as it disconnects
> from the uterus. If she starts to
> run a temp it would be best to
> contact your local large animal
> vet.

> dun
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I agree with Dunmovin. Never pull out afterbirth. It has to come undone itself. Good luck and I hope everything works out.

Duncan

My dads heifer had a calf two days
> ago and today she still had the
> afterbirth hanging out to the
> ground. I pulled on it and some
> came out then broke off. Does this
> mean she has retained the Placenta
> and should I be concerned at this
> point? Thank You!

> Rachel



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Let her tract release the after birth/placenta in its own good time.

Do not pull on it, it could tear the uterus and do serrious damage. the process of lactation and calf suckling will release the hormones that allow the uterus to regain tone and help the fluid and tissues that maintained the pregnancy to be expelled as the horns and uterus shrink in size. While this is happening over the course of the new 2-3 weeks, you will see her expell some fluid discharge, blood and thick yellow/brown mucus, this is all normal. She should show a follow up heat within 30-45 days



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Let her tract release the after
> birth/placenta in its own good
> time.

> Do not pull on it, it could tear
> the uterus and do serrious damage.
> the process of lactation and calf
> suckling will release the hormones
> that allow the uterus to regain
> tone and help the fluid and
> tissues that maintained the
> pregnancy to be expelled as the
> horns and uterus shrink in size.
> While this is happening over the
> course of the new 2-3 weeks, you
> will see her expell some fluid
> discharge, blood and thick
> yellow/brown mucus, this is all
> normal. She should show a follow
> up heat within 30-45 days

Thank you for this information Michelle! I hope I didn't do eny damage to her. She was a long ways from the other cows and I was worried about predators coming in on her. I did hang some of dads shirts around on the bushes by her. Today she brought her calf up with the rest of the cows. I will keep a close eye on her. Thanks for the other reply also.

Rachel Ann
 
Top