Aerway aerator ?

Help Support CattleToday:

jug

Reaction score
If anyone is using a aerway ... i would like your opinion on it and results good and bad please .

UT had a study about 10 years ago that drum type aerators do more harm than good and the expense did not provide a return. It was in a handout at one of their field days. I have it but finding it, ...WOO-O-O! They are built and operate on the same principles of a sheep foot roller used to compact soil for construction. My guess is that at the location in the soil right below the tip of the metal that penetrates the soil there is additional compaction. OM suffers from the tillage action, too.

It would be cheaper and better economy to do some study on soil health and if they work in your area use some species with deep and massive root systems: best annual from memory I think was forage sorghum or sudangrass. Let it get tall and then cut fairly high. It made the most regrowth after cutting on the root system of any species. If you can rotate and kill off a permanent species (depending on where you are) bahiagrass is used in rotations to break hardpans in the coastal plains and then is killed when row crops, especially peanuts are rotated back in.

I don't but I do use a Hay King Renovator. I would use a Aerway Aerator if they where not so expensive. There is several around here that do use them and have great results. Our local OSU extension has put on several demonstration on the advantage of soil aeration and they highly recommend the Aerway Aerator. The Aerway is not a drum type or roller type aerator. I like the results get from my Hay King Renovator but it takes a lot of Horse Power and it isn't good in rocky ground.

Rajela":1xakaic5 said:
I don't but I do use a Hay King Renovator. I would use a Aerway Aerator if they where not so expensive. There is several around here that do use them and have great results. Our local OSU extension has put on several demonstration on the advantage of soil aeration and they highly recommend the Aerway Aerator. The Aerway is not a drum type or roller type aerator. I like the results get from my Hay King Renovator but it takes a lot of Horse Power and it isn't good in rocky ground.

I agree. We also use a hay king pasture renovator. They are pretty popular around here. They do a great job in certain soils and you can absolutely see the benefits.

A subsoiler works also.

Latest posts