Aeration

Help Support CattleToday:

wacocowboy

Reaction score
Does aerating work? I have read several articles some are mixed some say not worth it at all and some say its the best thing next to fertilizer. I am looking at an aerator that looks like a roller packer with spikes its 10 ft they want like $2000 for it and I am just wondering if it is worth it. If anyone has experience using these would like to hear your thoughts how it worked what time of the year you did it and did you use fertilizers also did you use more or less fertilizer

Might depend more on your climate and soil type more than anything else. Here where I am at, I don't think it pays.

What brand? $2000 is a steal, really no matter what shape it is in. A new 10' will start at $10k and go up. How big a steal depends on brand. Weld-on or bolt on knives?

I want one. One was for auction in MN late last fall. 24' (to big for me). $1900. Weld-on knives. Would have bid easily twice that if I had the hp to pull it.

Best time to do is late spring. Then fertilize afterwards. You get more punch with your fertilizer. Works best with heavy clay soils and old fields. No point to do it if your working your fields up every 5 years.

It won't change how much fertilizer you use but aeration does promote plant growth. That includes weeds. In my opinion it's not needed unless the soil is compacted and clay soils will compact easier.

Aaron":12k49enm said:
What brand? $2000 is a steal, really no matter what shape it is in. A new 10' will start at $10k and go up. How big a steal depends on brand. Weld-on or bolt on knives?

I want one. One was for auction in MN late last fall. 24' (to big for me). $1900. Weld-on knives. Would have bid easily twice that if I had the hp to pull it.

Best time to do is late spring. Then fertilize afterwards. You get more punch with your fertilizer. Works best with heavy clay soils and old fields. No point to do it if your working your fields up every 5 years.

I think this is made in a welding shop haven't gone to look at it just looking at pictures online and talked to one of the guys at the place for a min on the phone it weighs a ton empty and you can fill it with water to add more weight the knives are welded on it looks really well made from the photos

B&M Farms":3lrq8hoa said:
It won't change how much fertilizer you use but aeration does promote plant growth. That includes weeds. In my opinion it's not needed unless the soil is compacted and clay soils will compact easier.

yeah I have heard after you do that you will get a lot of weed growth I have that grayish black clay

wacocowboy":20suug5g said:
B&M Farms":20suug5g said:

yeah I have heard after you do that you will get a lot of weed growth I have that grayish black clay

What kind of grass?

You might want to check with your local NRCS or Extension office. The university did a study of aeration in the Ozarks and the general consensus was it was a waste of time and money. Your mileage may vary

if I want to aerate I just take my disc and turn the disc where the wheels are straight and not aggressive drop it a few inches in the ground and cut open the ground. I do not see a big difference in how grass grows.

B&M Farms":54zwy0ah said:
wacocowboy":54zwy0ah said:
B&M Farms":54zwy0ah said:

What kind of grass?

some coastal the rest native next year I am going to start planting B Dahl

I agree about it depending on soil type. Here is doesn't pay but the occassional subsoiling or running a chisel plow does make a big difference and it seems to give better results when its done during dry conditions.

I am not familar with running one like that. We run a subsoiler or pature renovater. Its a must. There is ground that will lock up and choke your coastal.

The place I worked at out side of Waco heading toward West used a pasture renovater pretty regularly on simular soil.

Latest posts