Advise

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
Me and my Brother ( Ricker forum member ) are gaining access to 200 ac. that an older cattleman has leased from us until March 1st. My questions is what would be the best use for this property since the current leasor has been using it has a hay business. He says he averages 2ea. 5x6 bales per ac. and cuts about 3 times a year. It is currently coastal grass in which he has acclumated repeat hay buyers that are mainly horse owners. We have no equipment but have access to sub's that will perform the cutting and bailing by the ac.

1. Do I continue doing the hay business?
2. Do I put cows on the property. We already have 60 head and since we are just starting out i am leary doing anymore cattle
3. Do we just raise and breed replacement heifers
4. Or do we just buy stockers in the spring and sell when the grass goes dormant in the late summer.

jkwilson":3g9grgfm said:
The land produces grass. The cheapest way to harvest grass is with cows.
ok you boys have 60 cows already.that means you need about 180 bales to get though the winter.so if it where me id hire a custom baler to bale that place.an then youd have hat for your cows.as well as hay to sale.an then later on you can expand your herd.if you sold 800 bales.that would be $20,000 plus you will have made hay for your herd.

depending on how many heifers you retain to you could keep some on there and still bale it for hay...
(though its probably cheapest to buy quality replacement heifers)

Latest posts