Advise/Tips Getting Mom's on full feed

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586

Reaction score
I am having an issue with one of my cows who calved in April. I am trying to get her on full feed since she has been on the maternity diet from November to April. I have gradually introduced grain but she is really runny, so added some oats, then added a bit of beet pulp. Any other ideas? I did give her some probios too. I would really like to get her going as I think she will be a good candidate for the cow calf class this fall. But I need to get some pounds on her.
edit to add a picture taken 5/27/09
JaloMay09.jpg

iowafarmer":1kj6tcle said:
What are you all feeding here right now?
Is she getting any hay or ruffage?
She is getting first cutting hay, the grain is a mix of corn,oats, bovagain G38, ADE, salt and a bit of molasses.
Re: the other question as to why is because I want to show her in September in the pair class. The maternity diet is first cutting hay and mineral.

I've rarely had any trouble getting one on full feed.. regardless of if it's a heifer or a cow with a calf. Just doing it gradually is the key.. a small increase at a time of course. Have you tried feeding less, more often? If you can feed her three or four times a day, smaller amounts, that might help with the "runs". And plenty of hay in between. Roughage generally helps firm them up. I've never had much luck with beet pulp, although I know a lot of show folks that use it for filler.

TheBullLady":vraf18o9 said:
I've rarely had any trouble getting one on full feed.. regardless of if it's a heifer or a cow with a calf. Just doing it gradually is the key.. a small increase at a time of course. Have you tried feeding less, more often? If you can feed her three or four times a day, smaller amounts, that might help with the "runs". And plenty of hay in between. Roughage generally helps firm them up. I've never had much luck with beet pulp, although I know a lot of show folks that use it for filler.
Thanks! I will try the more frequent feedings, didn't think about that!

The feed causes acid spikes in the gut that can cause the runs. Less feed = less spike. When I'm getting bulls on bull ration I usually feed 4 times a day to get them going.

That said, I always have bulls that are looser than others - some very much so - and it looks as if they've hit some acidosis. But they act fine and eat fine and grow fine so it's just the way they are. So, in the end (no pun intended) the measure of acidosis is not just the poop but also their desire to continue to eat - how their gut actually feels to them. What I'm saying is, splitting feed is ALWAYS easier on their gut but it may not change anything and she may just be fine.

angus9259":31oo8o9i said:
The feed causes acid spikes in the gut that can cause the runs. Less feed = less spike. When I'm getting bulls on bull ration I usually feed 4 times a day to get them going.

That said, I always have bulls that are looser than others - some very much so - and it looks as if they've hit some acidosis. But they act fine and eat fine and grow fine so it's just the way they are. So, in the end (no pun intended) the measure of acidosis is not just the poop but also their desire to continue to eat - how their gut actually feels to them. What I'm saying is, splitting feed is ALWAYS easier on their gut but it may not change anything and she may just be fine.
Thanks, yes she is feeling fine, I am wanting to get best "use" out of the feed and not get her sick in the process of increasing it tho. She is thickened up a bit and I am going to add a noon feeding tomorrow and see how it goes. How has your calving been this spring???

Latest posts