advise on dodge trucks

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
Susie has her heart set on getting a 5th wheel travel trailer I'm all for the idea as I get a new(er) pick-up out of the deal.
I'm looking towards a dodge (cummins diesel) and was wondering what experiences the folks have had with them.
I really don't think that I need a 4X4 or a 1ton dually, although Susie thinks that we should have both. Only time I use four wheel drive now is to pull the boat out of the water when the launch is bad....I would appreciate any advise on the year range that has the best maintenance record and power/mileage. The extend cab is a must, the crew cab is a bit to long and I'm loosing my parking edge these days...the one ton would be nice but I don't tow or haul much anymore except to the sale a few times a year.
Susie says that I make to much of a production out of shopping, I call it an informed decision.
Thanks....Dave Mc

I prefer the Ford diesels myself but they are more expensive to work on. I have heard good things about the Dodge though. My advice is to go ahead and get the 4 wheel drive. It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it at all. Kind of like a cell phone.
Those diesel engines are pretty heavy, my 2 wheel drive power stroke will get stuck in a heart beat, the front end is way to heavy but it still has plenty of power when pulling.
The dually in my opinion is only needed if you haul alot and plan to really put the truck to work.
These are only my opinions on subject.
good luck shopping ;-)

just to put my 2 cents in I would also agree with the 4 x 4. my wife and I stopped at the grand canyon on our way back from Texas last year, it had been raining for a few days before that and I would have been stuck a few times if I hadn't had 4 x 4. I might have been able to make it out with out it, but a lot less stress on the tranny with the 4 x 4 on, anyway if I had been pulling a trailer and not had 4 x 4 I definitely would've been stuck.

I would agree with the 4x4, I have a 2001 3500, and we just bout the wife a 2005 2500 (3/4 t) 4x4 ;-) :heart: . The 4x4 is more expensive to maintain,etc....but is worth every penny when you do need it. With fuel like it is,it makes sense to go diesel,and besides,the diesel engines will outlast the gas engines by far..... :cboy:

Ill try to be as unbiased as possible, but I have to warn you I bought my first 1-ton Dodge cummins a little over a year ago and love it. But it gets worked VERY hard in the spring pulling fertilizer tanks to the field...

But IMO it depends on what you are looking to use it for and how hard you work it... The Fords are definatley more luxurious, more room in the back seat of quad cab, quieter and smoother ride... IMO. I personally enjoy the noise and the feel of being in a truck...lol

But the torque the Cummins puts out cannont be matched. But you sacrafice a little comfort and a little noisier ride.

I was actually shopping for trucks with my dad earlier today... We drove an 05 1-ton dodge, much quiter and a little smoother than my '02.

My biggest issue with the powerstroke ford -- weather it is a big deal or not Im not sure, Im no mechanic.... I have seen tons of them leaking oil. My dads '97 130K, when works hard PUKES oil out the rear of the engine. When we were out looking at trucks today, I crawled under close to 10 fords that were leaking oil from somewhere on the front of the engine..... All of them under 50K miles. Crawled under just as many Dodges on the same lot... Not a drip... Just an observation.

IMO, the fords start harder in the winter time... plugged in or not. Just another observation.

I dont have an opinion on the Chevys, never rode in one, but know some guys that swear by the Duramax... And hear that that the ride is pretty smooth. The Allison transmission is supposed to be pretty nice also.

That reminds me.... another IMO, If you are going to buy a big truck and use it for pulling, dont buy an automatic, just not a good idea. Dads Ford used up and automatic earlier this year, you can buy several clutches for the price of a new transmission.

I would also agree, buy the 4wd, you never know when you'll need it and if nothing else it ads much more to the re-sale value of the truck, same goes for the diesels. Many diesels with over 100K still selling for 20,000 or more.

Hope this windy response helps..

I have a 2003 Dodge one ton, dually with four wheel drive. No problems with it yet. I like the Cummins because it has so many fewer moving parts than any other diesel engine - I'm no mecahnic but fewer parts means fewer changes to break? I agree on the torque and the fact that having 4x4 is nice when you need it.

Also, the 2003 was the year of the new engine which is quite quiet. I like the ride, the seats and everything about it. I went for the six on the floor, because I wasn't sure of how the new automatic would stand up.

Depends on how big of a fifth wheel you are going to get as to whether you need the dually. If it is long and heavy, I would go with the 3500 dually.

Billy

After being a Ford Man, for 25 years, I bought my first Dodge 3500 Ext. cab flatbed Dually, last October. Stick of course, pulls like a freight train.Only thing I had to get used to after owning many Fords, was the steering is a lot different. Always had F350 4x4's and a few 250 4x4's. I believe the Cummins to be one of the best Diesels ever produced. I know that Dodge does not have the resale value of a Ford, but I plan on keeping this one for a good while.There's a joke around here that you aint farmin' unless you have a Dodge truck and a cell phone. I dont have a cell phone.Guess I dont rate. :lol:

4x4 in my book is a MUST have. You will be surprised how times it will save your butt. These big trucks just are too heavy and will stick themselves in a NY second. Example; went to the county fair to pick up my cousins show calf. I had rained and things were a little damp. Loaded the heifer and had to turn the trailer around. Trailer backed into a little depression, truck starts spinning its mud grips. Bystanders say "he's stuck, I will go get my truck and pull him". I flip the onboard 4x4 switch and drive away. No muddy feet, no help. I have even had to use it back up to my loading chute. Trailer tires dig in, truck starts spinning trying to push it back. Ford, Dodge, Chevy, it has to be 4x4.

Thanks folks...everyone had confirmed what I was thinking...always had 4X4s but really didn't think about the times that I'd shift the transfer case and turn the hubs or the times that we run in 4 high when the roads were covered in snow and ice...just took it for granted.
Since there is just the two of us now the extend cab is the way to go, hate to say it but I really don't want the grand kids on a long trip....
Jury is still out on the one ton dually...if Susie pushes the issue and we find one that we like then there is no question that she'll be driving a dually...now the looking part starts...got alot of friends with time on their hands and needing an excuse to get out of the house...
Dave Mc

Susie David":1ohbroqa said:
Susie has her heart set on getting a 5th wheel travel trailer I'm all for the idea as I get a new(er) pick-up out of the deal.
I'm looking towards a dodge (cummins diesel) and was wondering what experiences the folks have had with them.
I really don't think that I need a 4X4 or a 1ton dually, although Susie thinks that we should have both. Only time I use four wheel drive now is to pull the boat out of the water when the launch is bad....I would appreciate any advise on the year range that has the best maintenance record and power/mileage. The extend cab is a must, the crew cab is a bit to long and I'm loosing my parking edge these days...the one ton would be nice but I don't tow or haul much anymore except to the sale a few times a year.
Susie says that I make to much of a production out of shopping, I call it an informed decision.
Thanks....Dave Mc

Hi david and the board first post here. so hey.
anyway first question on the need for a dually or not. what is the GTW that would take care of that question. I am thinking here that dodge stopped making the extcab in 2001 or 02 on the full size trucks. ? so go with the quadcab 4x4, cummins.

at my place we run with 3500 disel dually 4x4 for work and going to town 1500 hemi

Latest posts