Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch

Reaction score
Alot of Texans here so maybe I can get some advice. I need to have built a 2-2 1/2 car garage to use next to a mobile home that we will live in until our home is built. I was leaning toward a steel building since they are less expensive than a stick built. I am open to suggestions as to what you all have used along these lines. Thanks.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":4gc0klz5 said:
Alot of Texans here so maybe I can get some advice. I need to have built a 2-2 1/2 car garage to use next to a mobile home that we will live in until our home is built. I was leaning toward a steel building since they are less expensive than a stick built. I am open to suggestions as to what you all have used along these lines. Thanks.
I don't know what your budget is , I know some people that were doing the same thing ( Living in trailer while building home)
They had bought some 20' shipping containers to store their stuff,
Could you get one or two of those and frame up a roof?
That way you could have somewhere to store your stuff, and after your house is built you could have some where to store your feed , stuff, Etc.

MULDOON":3r197p6b said:
They had bought some 20' shipping containers to store their stuff....
WOW, Muldoon! That's a great idea! If I could find something as nice as one of those 20 footers, we'd just stay in it and use our old trailer house to store feed and stuff in! Still might have to put a tarp over it......

a couple of years ago we built a 50x30 metal building & use it not only for vehicles but equipment (welder, hayrake, boat, etc). we recently added a 10' overhang off the front for extra cover.

you may want to consider something a little bigger as well......it seems you can never have enough storage, especially when you start collecting & buying equipment.

there are many companies who now build these & it's really good to decide what you want (galvanized purlins, etc) & then shop around for the best deal.

Not sure is metal is cheaper than stick anymore. We had a 30 x 40 with a slab built for $9600 with 2 overhead doors and skylights a couple yrs ago. I see builders advertising 30 x 50 pole barns w/o slabs for $5200 every month in the Tx Electric Co-op magazine I get every month. Not sure if you need a slab or not but you might contact one of these guys. I am probably gonna get one for machinery storage, as the tractor and trailers and 4 wheelers and stuff is taking up quite a bit of the room in the steel building, and none of these need a concrete slab for storing them.

I would like to have a slab. Got an estimate for a stick built, $23,000 for a 2 1/2 car. A little rich for my blood. Steel is going up in price but the pole building idea might be a good one. Any of you all know who to contact in my area? ( Texas )

[/quote] see builders advertising 30 x 50 pole barns w/o slabs for $5200 every month in the Tx Electric Co-op magazine I get every month. Not sure if you need a slab or not but you might contact one of these guys. I am probably gonna get one for machinery storage, as the tractor and trailers and 4 wheelers and stuff is taking up quite a bit of the room in the steel building, and none of these need a concrete slab for storing them.
We had a couple of these built and had a slab poured in one of them. THEY ARE GREAT and I would build another one in a heartbeat.

We've got a 3 bay tractor barn / shop that is metal on slab behind the house. One thing I would change on it would be to add a big door on the opposite side so I could pull a pickup or tractor straight thru. Can't count all the times and reasons I've wished I had that. Plus it would be nice to get some cross breeze in the summer.

Craig-TX

Craig, that's exactly why I had a big door put on each end. I didnt want to try and back out a trailer and such through a 10' opening. It also helps tremendously with the breeze in the summer..the wind just goes right through and it actually stays pretty tolerable in there, as it's facing north and south!

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1na2540t said:
I would like to have a slab. Got an estimate for a stick built, $23,000 for a 2 1/2 car. A little rich for my blood. Steel is going up in price but the pole building idea might be a good one. Any of you all know who to contact in my area? ( Texas )

I'm not exactly sure why, but a garage is constructed quite different than a pole barn or a metal barn. The garage has studs 16" on center and so on and so on. Your barn would have completely different requirements. We looked at a garage and quickly went with a barn due to the cost difference. The barn was much cheaper, much larger, more useful, and I could put it up myself. Kind of like a large lego set.

I dont know what the weather is like in texas,but if it gets real hot then shipping containers are like ovens.I have used them in the past for engineering workshops and without an air gap above and some wide eaves and a few windows you will surely carc it in the heat :D

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":26h23n4g said:
Anyone know anything about them or have any experience with the buildings they sell?
Mueller is probably one of the best in Texas to do business with. They've got several branches. Great customer service and they know what they're talking about when it comes to steel buildings. Just tell 'em what you want, they'll tell you what you need and will probably have it in stock. PM me if you want any more info. They've also got a great site with lots of tech advice. I can't remember what it is right now or I'd link it for you. If you can't find it, let me know.

Oddly enough, designing and building steel buildings is exactly what I do. I actually am one of the Project Managers in the Post Frame (pole barn) department of the company I work for. Unfortunately, I'm not anywhere near Texas. If you are a handyman and want to try doing it yourself, however, I could give it to you in great detail how to go about it. Or if you have a fax# and know what you want, I probably have a set of plans for something similar. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

I am almost positive that Mueller only sells materials and building kits...they are not installers. Is this something you want to put up on your own, or did you want to have someone else do it for you? I was under the impression that you wanted a turn key job and not do it yourself. You can save quite a bit of $$ if you are willing to do it yourself, but I've found that by the time you rent a lift, hire a couple of helpers and run back into town for this and that, that its really a pain in the rear. But if you have the skills and time, then you might as well go for it.

If you can get your hands on a recent copy of Texas Agriculture, the monthly newpaper publication of the Texas Farm Bureau, the back 2 or 3 pages usually have ads from many Texas and Oklahoma based outfits that construct all sorts of steel buildings, ranging from simple 3 sided pole barns to dang near Taj Mahal-type structures. If you want to self-construct something pretty simple (and relatively cheaply) take a look at the material kits that Sutherlands sells.

Latest posts