Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

I think it is a no brainer, she should go and do an AI course. At that age they pick things up real quick. Even though she may not be able to reliably do all of hers straight away if she has some back up for a while. The course will show her what she will have available to her in the way of genetics plus how things all work. I think having that knowledge and ability at her fingertips will keep her enthusiasm high.

Ken

@Chevy I was wondering the same. Brought it back up because it had some sound ideas/advise. Wonder if I would have listened.

I never had anybody to guide me at 14 or offer 40% to help me do 💩. I'd got told it was a stupid idea, I couldn't do it, with more negative reasons.... wonder what it be like to have people support you and be like hell yea do it here some money. 😉🤑💵💸💲💰 💶🪙(may have got carried way on the money emoji 😉)

1. Start at the bottom and learn/earn/work your way up the old fashioned way.
2. You are going to make mistakes, lots of them. How you manage failure is more important than how you handle success.
3. Dont get so focused on the process that you lose sight of the end result,the old saying about forests and trees.
Good advice is timeless.

Before she invests much capital in her own operation she should volunteer to work for other established farms (like your place) for a few years. Offer to work for free (they'll always end up paying). That way she can get hands-on experience and avoid major newby mistakes at the onset. I wish she had done this prior to buying anything, because it sound like she has already had a setback to her plan. She may decide that this isn't for her before she gets too invested and it becomes mom and dad's problem..
I may may be a pessimist, but I bet it became mom and dad's problem 😃

Latest posts