Advice you later wish you'd have taken

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
You know you get a lot of advice and ideas on the board. Great thing. Makes you look at things differently and think about things. Since you can't follow all the advice you sometimes have to just choose one and go with it. Sometimes it pays out sometimes it don't. Looking back on this year I can say there are two instances I'm sorry I didn't listen more closely to the wisdom of the advice I was given.

1982vette wrote
Know how you feel, little bit of moisture and nice sunshine has me itching to. I don't know your plans after the ryegrass would come off, but I might be inclined to wait a few more weeks and plant haygrazer or millet. Anyway, I believe Alabama planted some ryegrass last February and did ok with it.

These were gentle words of wisdom. I should have listened. I could have fed the cattle high dollar sweetfeed and got more out of it than I did the late planted ryegrass. Got millet coming up in two fields and need to get the dang ryegrass harrowed out of the way so I can get this going to. What was the song, "what was I thinking". :oops:

And lets not forget Peg and her words of wisdom.

Peg4x4 wrote:
OK,fine~~ but when they're taking you into the operating room to take your leg off I want you to remember Peg4x4 TOLD YOU SO!!

You were so right! Ostio something or nother. Her sweetnesty aka Florence Nightingale took a look at my leg this weekend and she was livid. I got a preaching like you wouldn't believe. I am now on restriction and under her watchful caring but STERN eye.(how do ya'll do that look thing. effective. very effective) I'm on the mend now but things were getting bad. Good advice Peg. Thanks. :tiphat:

(I still wonder though had I used some of the alcohol as a topical rather than taking it all orally if things would have ended up the same.)

If you hadn't gotten them 16 inches of rain you wouldn't have a problem......... well a problem with ryegrass anyway.

I didn't ask for advise, but my itch got me to pasture drill haygrazer into the non-existant oats which I grazed to the ground after planting. I figured the oats would be gone by now from heat and rust but being blessed with cool temperatures and some nice moisture the oats is outgrowing the haygrazer. (Probably should have waited a bit longer to plant the haygrazer.) Had to replant the millet. I did it the same way. Grazed the oats to the ground and pasture drilled. First planting died from lack of moisture. Replanted and turned the cows in to grazed it down again. Second planting was coming up but was in need of moisture Saturday. Hope it lasted till today. Peas and beans are up like hair on a dogs back. Got 2/10ths this after noon. :D (Spit again for me tomorrow Jogee :p )

Have a new respect for the hardiness of Bob oats. Shoot I even have an ounce or so out of the 50 lbs of ball clover I planted last fall blooming.

grannysoo":2qiy2qfb said:
Using alcohol as a topical solution is a waste. It always works much better when applied orally.

I'm glad I didn't waste any of it. Couple of dead soldiers on the table. Fortunately, reinforcements arrived soon after and the pain was gone. :nod:

IMG_3431.jpg

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Wouldn't suprise me..... yes, doves makes sense...thats why they wrapped them in bacon to take away some of the "ugly"...

Looks like bacon-wrapped stuffed jalapenos?? Maybe? I love those things. I've had them prepared a hundred different ways, and they're all delicious

Flaboy's ATB's I believe.

project37.jpg

ABT = Atomic Buffalo Turds

Split Halopenos length wise and take out as much veins and seeds as deem necessary. The more you take out the less hot they are.

Stuff them first with you favorite cheese and then with those little smokies weiners or a piece of rolled up Pepperoni.

Wrap all this up with a slice of bacon and toothpick it.

These work best on a smoker but can be done in the oven or on a grill. Be careful to cook on low heat so as to not bubble out all of your cheese. If done on a smoker, cook at 225 for about 1.5 hours.

These make great party treats.

Best advice I never took:

"You should spend more time with your Grandfather than that blonde girl."

Given to me by my mother just a few months before my Grandfather died.

cfpinz":2adzl6t0 said:

Same here. There is not much I regret, but I do regret not spending more time with my Grandmother.
I wish I could do it over, but I can't.
I took too much for granted.

I hope younger people will read our comments and learn from them.

Ryder":sm98wijw said:
cfpinz":sm98wijw said:

Same here. There is not much I regret, but I do regret not spending more time with my Grandmother.
I wish I could do it over, but I can't.
I took too much for granted.

I hope younger people will read our comments and learn from them.
same here she was one of a kind

well Jo-the next time I tell you something,PAY ATTENTION!!!!
No,topical would have not worked,you probbly nicked the bone. TAKE YOUR MEDS!!! ALL OF THEM!! EVERY PILL!!

backhoeboogie":3ki5wgvb said:
1982vett":3ki5wgvb said:
Flaboy's ATB's I believe.

Where is he anyway? Did he eat too many of those?

That is his recipe. He has helped me tremendously with the smoker I've been working on. He said he has been really busy here lately but he still was able to take some time to answer some of my dumb questions about the grill.

peg4x4":3ki5wgvb said:
well Jo-the next time I tell you something,PAY ATTENTION!!!!
No,topical would have not worked,you probbly nicked the bone. TAKE YOUR MEDS!!! ALL OF THEM!! EVERY PILL!!

You bet I will. My wife ran me over the coals and when I looked at the mess it had become I believed every word she said. She's a nurse by training so she doctored me pretty good. Still couldn't make it to the doctor cause I'm a white working male who can't get on board with a group policy so deductible is tremendously high so doc is still out of reach. 5 - Way Calf Scour boluses and my wife's doctoring has it looking really good.

Joge,if you'd been one of your cattle you'd have treated you better than you did. (something like that) This whole medical thing is the pitts aint it.. I need to see a Dermatologest--skin cancers now-- However,as Bush decided the gov doesn't have to pay Drs for seeing medicare/cade,the Drs won't see us.. Guess I'm gonna be missing an ear soon :(

It is bad. Its not right either. Me and some cattle guys were talking about this the other day and one of them made an interesting analogy. (I think that's the word) Anyway, he said if he had a cow that was putting money in the farm account religiously every year and was paying for its keep he would could justify spending money to the vet to keep the cow productive. On the other hand, he said that if the cow was not productive he wouldn't spend a dime on it. Its odd how things are a$$ backward. This year alone, I have already paid enough in taxes to keep three households up yet my family is not privy to any of the programs I'm funding.

I had skin cancer last summer. Thankfully, I know a doctor who raises cattle and we worked out a trade outside of his normal business hours. Had to keep hush on this because it sounded like he wasn't supposed to do this due to Sam's regulations. Didn't understnd it myself but end result he worked on me twice and I'm ok now.

Its discouraging that I pay in what I do but I can't even find affordable insurance that will actually allow me to use it when others pay nothing and the hospital doors are wide open to them. I do have it but its only going to pay if I'm deathly ill and I best get sick on Jan 1 and no time in December due to the yearly deductible. Sorry for the pity party rant.

We're paying $983.00 per month for my wife and I for our health insurance. I wonder why I just don't try to get on the indigent program....... :mad:

Latest posts