advice with feed

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

This is a general question about feed. I have raised baby calves but now i'm starting to purchase 300-4oo lb bred heifers. can someone suggest the amount of feed they should receive. Currently they get a half bale of hay fescue/alfa mix a day; with 5 lbs of stock feed once, with two lbs of alfalfa cubes. My pasture is very thin.they seem to be content and clean up everthing. thanks

[email protected]

I sure hope your weights are wrong. 3-400 lb. bred heifers? Or heifers to breed later that weigh 3-400 now? If they are 3-400 and bred, you better know a good vet.

I'll assume they are 3-400 not bred but want to breed later. Figure 3% body weight total feed including grass. That's 9-12 pounds, your feeding 7 plus the fescue. So they are getting about 3% plus any grass. If the hay has decent protien and the stock feed is mostly grain they should do just fine.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

> I sure hope your weights are
> wrong. 3-400 lb. bred heifers? Or
> heifers to breed later that weigh
> 3-400 now? If they are 3-400 and
> bred, you better know a good vet.

> I'll assume they are 3-400 not
> bred but want to breed later.
> Figure 3% body weight total feed
> including grass. That's 9-12
> pounds, your feeding 7 plus the
> fescue. So they are getting about
> 3% plus any grass. If the hay has
> decent protien and the stock feed
> is mostly grain they should do
> just fine.

> Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus
> Farms Alberta Canada amen! to above used to buy light bred heifers but "never again". got a good used calf jack for sale

[email protected]

thanks for the feedback.the heifers weighed that when I first purchased. they are around 700#'s now. They were interduced to the bull in aug/sept.

[email protected]

So with 700 pounds they need 21 pounds of feed a day, adjust your feed accordingly, but they shouldn't need more than 5 pounds of the grain until good grass comes.

Jason

[email protected]

For 5 months bred, isn't that still a bit small? What type of cattle? How much did they weigh when you bred them? How old were they when you bred them?

> So with 700 pounds they need 21
> pounds of feed a day, adjust your
> feed accordingly, but they
> shouldn't need more than 5 pounds
> of the grain until good grass
> comes.

> Jason

[email protected]

Latest posts