Advice please

Help Support CattleToday:

gertfan

Reaction score
On Sunday we took my son's 5 yr old cow to vet to get stitched up for vaginal prolapse. Vet checked her to see how far along she was, we had her figured at about 7 months, exactly what he said. He said she could abort in the next 2-5 days after being stitched up. On Tuesday she was off by herself, checked on her and she had a large amount of mucous and has had every day since. Is this something to be concerned with? Vet says it's normal after the prolapse being put back in. If she calved now at 7 months would the calf live?

i dont think it would live at 7 months.the longer she can carry the calf the better.now if she can go to 8 months or better.the calf might live.the longer she can go the better for the calf.

The swelling anf mucus should clear up. When she gets about a week to 10 days before her expected due date you'll need to start doing checks on her every 2 hours. When you see she is actively straining and in labor cut the stitch. Have the vet on speed dial just in case she prolapses as she 's calving and the calf can;t get out.

May have to stitch her again a couple of days after she calves. When the calf is weaned she needs to go to the salebarn in the kill pen.

dun":d2s1my8p said:
The swelling anf mucus should clear up. When she gets about a week to 10 days before her expected due date you'll need to start doing checks on her every 2 hours. When you see she is actively straining and in labor cut the stitch. Have the vet on speed dial just in case she prolapses as she 's calving and the calf can;t get out.

May have to stitch her again a couple of days after she calves. When the calf is weaned she needs to go to the salebarn in the kill pen.

Yep :nod: ...normal to have some discharge after a prolapse with a god awful smell lingering for the next week or so. Be prepared to cut the stitches during hard labor and have the vet there to put them back in afterwards or for complications unless you're comfortable doing it.

I agree with Dun. Wait till she gets close to due date and start checking more often. Make sure she is in the kill pen this fall.

You don't want a premature calf. If it is a month early, you should pray it dies quick because a month early premature calf requires more attention than any other 20 calves combined. I am all too familiar with the labor involved with them. :cowboy: