Advice on Welder

Help Support CattleToday:

My friend has had both, both of a certain age.. Another friend of mine has the fuel injected Bobcat with compressor.. nothing but problems with it, the injection system has quit several time... If you stick with a carburated model, I think both are good.

I grew up using Lincolns, now everything I own is a Miller if that tells you anything.

I've got six miller bobcats they seem to be good machines. I'm just like cfpinz I used to run Lincoln got to having a lot of trouble, now all I own is miller and we use the heck out of them I've got eight portable welders six being bobcats and two 400amp. We put about 6 to 8 hundred hours a year on them.

Caustic Burno":25d6hpzm said:
Going off what fence said if I want it for backup for the old house, do I need CV as well?

CB CV is required for a MIG or Tig type setup
Which can be added to the Miller bobcat because it is constant voltage. It refers only to welder output. ..to my knowledge.
If you only require arc welding and generator.
The Hobart is made on the same assembly line as the Miller.
Like a Chevy and a GMC

Caustic Burno":12qqmg2o said:
Looking to purchase a new welder
Lincoln Ranger
Miller Bobcat
Opinions both running the same engine as well as generator output is close.

Miller I love them.. Lincoln didn't impress me at all they let me test out a rental before I bought my miller I tested a Lincoln and miller.

callmefence":12qqmg2o said:
Caustic Burno":12qqmg2o said:
Going off what fence said if I want it for backup for the old house, do I need CV as well?

CB CV is required for a MIG or Tig type setup
Which can be added to the Miller bobcat because it is constant voltage. It refers only to welder output. ..to my knowledge.
If you only require arc welding and generator.
The Hobart is made on the same assembly line as the Miller.
Like a Chevy and a GMC

He is right about same assembly line to an extent the Hobart has some aspects and parts that are cheaper parts than miller though

dont buy a welder for a generator. theyre not electronic friendly as a house generator. and for sure not fuel friendly . I just did a whole house install my self and for the money you would be better with a generator for power..even a big portable would be better

dieselbeef":38w4r51z said:
dont buy a welder for a generator. theyre not electronic friendly as a house generator. and for sure not fuel friendly . I just did a whole house install my self and for the money you would be better with a generator for power..even a big portable would be better

never used one for house just grinders or plasma cutter.. What exactly do they do that's not electronic friendly? I guess I am wondering exactly whats the difference between a " home owner " portable generator and those.

Welders probably don't have a nice sine wave output on the generator side of them.. they work just fine for grinders and heavy stuff, but have noisy AC

callmefence":mco3qsil said:
I can't count the times we've used welders to power the house when the power was out.

I need a new generator seems silly to me to buy just a generator when I have a 7.5 kw diesel on the house.
I have several welding machines just none portable.
Just need something to run the freezers in the old place.
That generator died after 30+ years.
Dang diesel generator cost more than the welder making it a no brainer to me.
Just wasn't sure on the engine driven models of today.

do the research..todays appliances and TV's..phones..computers..routers....

like nesikep said..noisey ac is not friendly....

if yer only gonna do freezers and not computerized stuff run anything..

get a pto one....don't get more portable than that

Caustic Burno":2c17k8sv said:
callmefence":2c17k8sv said:
I can't count the times we've used welders to power the house when the power was out.

I need a new generator seems silly to me to buy just a generator when I have a 7.5 kw diesel on the house.
I have several welding machines just none portable.
Just need something to run the freezers in the old place.
That generator died after 30+ years.
Dang diesel generator cost more than the welder making it a no brainer to me.
Just wasn't sure on the engine driven models of today.

Good grief CB. Sell the computer and the TV and get a portable welder. I won't even go on vacation without one.

dieselbeef":33czww4n said:
do the research..todays appliances and TV's..phones..computers..routers....

like nesikep said..noisey ac is not friendly....

if yer only gonna do freezers and not computerized stuff run anything..

get a pto one....don't get more portable than that

I tried to run a digital heat gun on our Lincoln Ranger and it wouldn't work. Anything that has sensitive electronics shouldnt be ran with one.

It's been a good machine though, 1300 hard hours. It did stop producing power once but it was repaired under warranty.

I bought my Miller Bobcat 250 for $2400. Had 218 hours on the ticker and had never spent a night outside. It came with 50' leads, as well. I have all Miller welders in the shop, except for a Lincoln Precision TIG that was a dealers trade show demo, and was dirt cheap. I'm loyal to Miller because I've had good luck with them, but the deciding factor when I bought my engine driven welder was the $2400 price tag. Cue the dancing jalapeno. I would bet that in a month or two, there will be some deals on generator welders around the TX coast. Might be worth waiting and keeping an eye on CL?

Farm Fence Solutions":rmzg9g1o said:
I bought my Miller Bobcat 250 for $2400. Had 218 hours on the ticker and had never spent a night outside. It came with 50' leads, as well. I have all Miller welders in the shop, except for a Lincoln Precision TIG that was a dealers trade show demo, and was dirt cheap. I'm loyal to Miller because I've had good luck with them, but the deciding factor when I bought my engine driven welder was the $2400 price tag. Cue the dancing jalapeno. I would bet that in a month or two, there will be some deals on generator welders around the TX coast. Might be worth waiting and keeping an eye on CL?

Hardly ever used... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I would add, if you are only going to use it occasionally , get a propane model instead of gasoline . Unless of course you are better than I am about draining the gas, nothing like having to disassemble and clean a carburetor in the dark.

Dang it went through the whole storm with power. Half the county has been out since ten last night.
This is just the kind of event I was thinking about.
Need something to power the shop and a freezer in the man cave.

Latest posts