Advice on selling calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Pharmer

Reaction score
I am about to sell my first batch of calves soon which range from around 300 to 500 pounds per head. I have 8 of them, which I bought as cow-calf pairs in the spring. Is there a historically optimal time to sell around this time of year or later. Also, where do you all think prices will go the next couple of months. I understand it is speculation, but I would appreciate the advice of some of you all who have experience at this. Thank you for your advice.

At the sale today calves in that weight range were in high demand. Prices ranged from 130-170. Prices for heavier cattle in the 600-700 range were 105-115. Anyones guess can go for the next two months. If I were you I would sell now and set aside the money to buy some more pairs when the prices are lower.

Prices historically top in late April to late May.
This year they held for auiet a while longer. IMO I would go with them.

"Then again"… a big part of the answer depends on what your grass looks like. If you've got plenty, which a lot of people in the south do right now, you might not want to get in a hurry. Generally it pays to keep them till around 600#. After that you're swapping more pounds for less money per pound and the grass would be better used on more pairs. 600 isn't a magic number. It's not all that sudden if you chart it because the returns diminish gradually but steadily. Usually 600# is about where you've maximized. In this year's market it may not hurt to run them longer – if you have the grass.

Craig-TX

If you are ready to sell, sell them.
Prices should go down as we approach fall, the old supply and demand thing.
Your calves should still bring over $500, which is the threshhold of what most of us consider "a good year"
Since you have only eight calves of varying wts. they will break them up anyway. Maybe you should leave your smaller calves on the cow a little longer if they have milk?

Hillbilly

if you have grass wouldn't you be better off this year anyway keeping and creeping up to 800 or so? I realize the posters calves won't hit that for a while I am curios since I am sittng on 600 pounderrs now

I was at the sale barn yesterday and couldn't believe it. between 600 to 800 lb cows and heifers were selling for about .50 cents a pound.

baldy":367pq5dg said:
if you have grass wouldn't you be better off this year anyway keeping and creeping up to 800 or so? I realize the posters calves won't hit that for a while I am curios since I am sittng on 600 pounderrs now

Prices are high right now and no one can guarantee they will stay that way.

BoJones":2w9ho7k9 said:
I was at the sale barn yesterday and couldn't believe it. between 600 to 800 lb cows and heifers were selling for about .50 cents a pound.

Those were slaughter cows.

Craig-TX

I sold 14 steers and heifers at the sale barn last weekend. Got anywhere between $600 and almost $900. That is the highest we have ever sold calves. I sold 2 cull cows and got more for them then I paid for them, Over $700 each. Makes me want to sell all the old girls and get a bunch of 2 yr olds. There were quite a few 1 and 2 yr old breds coming through, anywhere from $700 on up over $1000. There were over 6000 head of animals go through, sale ended a little after 10:00 pm. One of our cull cows was 2nd to last to go through the ring, there wern't a lot of buyers left.

baldy":1xyg3jgy said:

Baldy,

Don't sit on 600# calves. Sell them.

Hillbilly

hillbilly":1hrsntjc said:
baldy":1hrsntjc said:

Baldy,

Don't sit on 600# calves. Sell them.

Hillbilly

Words of Wisdom
I agree 100%

I just can't sell yet.Of course it helps that i don't do this for a living,I only have 40,plenty of grassand I am used to living with the shame cuased by not heeding the advice of those that definately know better...I am thinking about contracting though, neighbors are locking in for november at good prices. one example 100 head of 650 @ 1.12 I am hoping for 1.05 or so and I hope to get mine to 750+ by late september. anyone think I am a little dreamy? Baldy.

Latest posts