Advice On Picking a Limousin Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

blackcowz

Reaction score
Hi all,
Been a a while for me. A couple weeks at least! :D Anyhow, I was a wonderin' about some limousin bulls. We've got our first LimFlex™ calves on the ground, and I'd like to breed the commercial Angus cows back that same way again. We got them outta a commercial lim bull, but the calves are AMAZING! So, I'd like info on another lim bull that'll add lots of style, muscle, and growth. Calving ease isn't hardly a factor here. I'd like a little bit of maternal as we'd be keeping the F1 heifers or selling them as open or bred females. However, we'd also like to market the steers as local club calves and as yearlings to a feedlot. Cows are around 6 and 7 frame and nothing special. A couple cows are a little soggier and moderate in their type and kind. Thanks in advance.

P.S. How does a Shortie bull go on Limi heifers? Any other bulls that "click" with LimFlex females?

Forget the ABS stuff go to www.limigene.com they got all the bulls you could want to look at. Herman and Judy have been in the bussiness a long time. Herman would gladly lend you a hand picking a bull or two. I would look at fullbloods so you get a true F! cross.

Red Bull Breeder":2n0sp6to said:
Forget the ABS stuff go to http://www.limigene.com they got all the bulls you could want to look at. Herman and Judy have been in the bussiness a long time. Herman would gladly lend you a hand picking a bull or two. I would look at fullbloods so you get a true F! cross.

Thanks red bull breeder! I got to looking at a lot of the popular Wulf and ROM'N bulls and noticed Limigene was the semen source for them. I don't know if I can talk dad into a fullblood bull, but I'll see what we can find out! Thanks again.

Blaque Rulon or JCL Baxter.....I have seen some good looking catlle outa these two bulls that will be competive in the open class show ring..Also both bulls have good maternal traits....Stay away from Lodestar too much frame...as far fullbloods if you could find Texas Ranger Ted

Rulon is to hard to come by and to expensive to breed commercial cows. Baxter shot blanks for the muscling gene. He is breeding angus cows to make limflex calves best ones i have saw yet were out of a fullblood cow x Angus bull or Angus cow x fullblood Limi bull. If i was doing what blackcowz is wanting to do i would want a bull that was Homo for the f94l gene.

Red Bull Breeder":1ifcr1kg said:
Rulon is to hard to come by and to expensive to breed commercial cows. Baxter shot blanks for the muscling gene. He is breeding angus cows to make limflex calves best ones i have saw yet were out of a fullblood cow x Angus bull or Angus cow x fullblood Limi bull. If i was doing what blackcowz is wanting to do i would want a bull that was Homo for the f94l gene.

OK, I assume that's a muscling gene? Does that only appear in fullblood bulls and cows?

It is a muscling gene, and it does appear in purebred Limi's some got it some don't. Some are Homo for the gene some only carry a single copy of it. A bull that is Homo for it will pass it on to the calves. Single copy bulls have 50/50 chance of passing it on to the calves. Almost all fullblood Limi bulls are homo for the gene.

Red Bull Breeder":mytqoxp1 said:
Red Bull, if they are gonna get in the club calf aspect, the fullbloods will not make the cut..... Neither one of us likes it, but its the truth....Shoot look at all the bulls in the breed that look like steers..... Who knows maybe one of these days things will swing back to where a bull lookslike a bull and not a steer

Didn't see where blackcowz said anything about club calves Houston. He still should use a bull that carries the musnling gene and pass it on to the calves. All he has to do is look in a Limigene semen directory and look at the DNA profiles of the bulls. Still a lot of bulls to pick from.

Houston is right. We'll actually be using these Limi/Angus F1 heifers to be the base of a separate club calf herd from our main herd of Angus bred cattle. They need to be heavily muscled, but these calves out of a plain black Limi bull have blown the pure Angus calves of last year away and are going to be plenty heavy muscled enough for the show ring. The steers AND heifers that make the cut are going to be marketed private treaty to local 4-H kids. The very top end of both sexes will be shown by my family and I and the heifers will be kept as replacements. Cattle that do not sell locally will be sold via the internet. If they simply aren't high enough quality, we'll turn them out in the fall and market them as yearlings the following spring. I've actually decided on using JCL Baxter this year. Mr. Helton was great to deal with, and I was very happy with his integrity and willingness to help me out. Thank you sir!

You shouldn't discount the plain black limi bull from last year if his calves are good. I hope you have good luck with Baxter. I just think you would help your chances using a bull that is homo for the muscling gene.

Red Bull Breeder":34yltv2m said:
You shouldn't discount the plain black limi bull from last year if his calves are good. I hope you have good luck with Baxter. I just think you would help your chances using a bull that is homo for the muscling gene.
No doubt about it. It would greatly improve his chances.

Limomike":27tre3rb said:
Red Bull Breeder":27tre3rb said:
No doubt about it. It would greatly improve his chances.

Thanks! However, black and polled are about the only cattle allowed around here. :? I would use last year's bull in less than a heartbeat except for the fact that he was basically an "accident" and the only bull the fellow would lease. He got crippled at the end of the season and he most likely hamburgers by now. :( So I figured I'd look for another bull and Baxter looks to fit the bill. Plus, it looks like I might be able to up my milk a little with him. Not too much, but I think just enough. Thanks for all the advice and I'll let you all know how things progress. :D

You have other choices in black and polled. When these calves don't have the muscle your plain black bull gave you reread this thread to see why.

Red Bull Breeder, I can appreciate the fact that you adore fullblood Limousin cattle and all red cattle as well. The fact of the matter is everybody in the world cant make a living selling red cattle. Another fact is if I had to depend on raising red Limousin cattle for a living in my area I would go broke. I have read on here time after time where you bash everyones black cattle and now its one of my herd bulls. I dont like to argue on here but I have read about enough of this that I have had my fill.

In my opinion you must be so jealous that people are making a living raising black cattle that you cant stand it. As far as the muscling goes on Baxter he has plenty and his offspring has plenty as well. Just because an animal doesnt test homozygous for the Myostatin gene does not mean they will not pass muscle along to their calves. Fact of the matter is Magness Land and Cattle has had great success breeding Baxter to Angus females for LimFlex calves. Also Counsil Family Limousin, Eden Run, JCL Cattle Company, DeMar Farms , Howard Brothers Limousin , Myself and many other breeders have had great success breeding him as well. Baxter had a weaning weight of 811 and a yearling weight of 1420. Anyone knows you dont get weights like that without muscle. If in your opinion all of these breeders dont know what they are doing then its obvious you have a problem of some kind with just black cattle in general. There is nothing wrong with promoting your cattle no matter what breed or color you own. I like Fullblood Limousin as well and as a matter of fact I owned a popular Fullblood bull in the breed at one time. I simply cant sell them here but I dont bash the cattle or anyone that raises them either. I also have many friends that raise Fullbloods but I have never heard ANY of them bash other cattle or especially other Limousin Breeders in here or in person. Thats what makes the cattle business so great is that you have so many different choices.

If you didnt see Blackcowz say anything about club calves you were probably already getting a post started to bash him for using black bulls before you got his original post read. I have always tried to support and promote the Limousin breed as a whole as well as people who raised other breeds. Every breed has pros and cons. Just because you dont like what someone else is trying to do doesnt give you the right to try and bash them into the ground.

Circle H Ranch

Latest posts