Advice on old cows !

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
Have about 6 old red and white beef mixed cows. Currently 3 stripes. I wanna get one last batch of calves outta them. Want to add some size and quality to them via AI . What breed or bull or cross would you recommend ? Don't think birthweight will be a problem. ThAnks. I recently aid 100 angus.

You recently Ai'd 100 cows and now need help picking semen for 6 old scruffy cows? Use whatever's left over from the 100 cows, no need to complicate things.

For terminal Charolais or you might go angus or black sim if its from an extreme high growth bull. For maternal I'd put some ear on them with brangus or full Brahman.

Supa Dexta":1wf3669m said:
You recently Ai'd 100 cows and now need help picking semen for 6 old scruffy cows? Use whatever's left over from the 100 cows, no need to complicate things.
Agree

callmefence":2zgclu3t said:
"one more calf"
Famous Last words

Yep; we said that for a couple of cows last year. They looked good, checked preg to calve this spring. Just found one dead, laid out flat, no signs of what happened. Just started calving that group so she could've been starting to calve. Flat ground, not like she got her back down the hill or anything that we could see. Got a couple more in there and this is DEFINITELY their last calf. They will not be going out to pasture with a bull anywhere and when the calf goes this fall they will be right there with it. I don't mind old cows, but it seems these last 2 years we have had more old cow problems then in the past 10.

Old cows are ones that have nubs for teeth or no teeth if bought cows; for ones we raise we figure by 12-15 they are getting old. Again, we look at condition, the last calf they raised, and check mouths everytime we preg check. Have one now that had great condition, is ornery as all get out, hard to get in, raises a really good calf, and has no teeth and is preg again. My son laughs as he knows I hate that cow. But we have several of her daughters and they all follow mom's genes and do good jobs with their calves. I keep praying she will come up open. If she has any problems with this next calf, or loses condition, she is gone. Since she is his cow, he makes the decision. If he buries her is is his problem.
Most times a cow will get to the end of her productive life and her last calf isn't very good because she just runs out of milk or she gets real thin putting her all into the calf. Now, if they have few/no teeth and are preg, they go into a field with the other "last calf cows" and will get to calve and raise the calf and never see a bull again and when it is time to wean the calf they both go to town.
This cow looked good, great condition and was just going about her business. She was on the last calf list. Oh well....

Latest posts