advice on feeding Sorghum

Help Support CattleToday:

Latta

Reaction score
We were given 20 acres of sorghum this fall. It was used as a cover crop to draw nitrogen. This field had been in native grass for past 7 years, last year they planted sorghum in an attempt to deplete the nitrogen from the ground. I have no experience with this. We rounded baled it, seed head and all. Our plan was to use it as feed. Just recently I was told if the nitrogen content in the sorghum is to high I could poison my steers. Was thinking about having it probed and tested but would like some additional input on this. I read from the side lines and I see lots of good advice on so many different topics. I was hoping to get some on this.
Latta

Who told you this? A bystander or someone like an extension agent. Either way, I don't see how anyone would know if it was dangerous without first having it tested. I'd have it tested myself before I did anything. I'd also like to have the problems of having too much nitrogen in my soil. I'd rock!

usually unless it is a dry year or a really wet year you should be okay. I would have it tested anyway and find how much nitrogen is in it and then protien content and such so that you know if you have to suppliment or not and then you will know how much to feed.

Several things don't compute to Texan way of thinking, but as to the nitrogen poisoning concern, get it tested if you have any concern about it. I'd have it checked for prussic acid as well. Here in Texas, I would be more concerned about it in matured sorghum than the nitrates.

Thank you for your input. I am going to have it tested just to be safe. The Field the sorghum came from is going to planted next year with a new seed variety of some sort so the company wanted the ground striped. The sorghum is immature because I believe the shortage of nitrogen but I dont want to take the chance. The fellow that mentioned all this to me also mentioned Prussic acid as well. I'll let you know how it tests.
Latta

Latest posts