Advice needed

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
My bull has made it his life goal to tear up my mineral station everyday. It's the type that sits on the round base and will soon based on the wind. Is there a way I can bull proof this thing or is there a different style I can look at? Mineral isint cheap at the rate he's dumping it out.

If your area is reasonably dry, here's something to get you by for a while, get a 17" truck tire, 16 will work but it's a bit tight, then put one of those 6 gallon rubber horse feeders in it. That's what I use and they can push it around but it's super hard to flip. I have a 17" low profile car tire I'm going to try out too.

I actually looked at one of those at a fees store yesterday. It would be very hard to roll it over it seemed. I really think the hanging style will be my best bet though long term.
Nesikep":3dcddq3s said:
If your area is reasonably dry, here's something to get you by for a while, get a 17" truck tire, 16 will work but it's a bit tight, then put one of those 6 gallon rubber horse feeders in it. That's what I use and they can push it around but it's super hard to flip. I have a 17" low profile car tire I'm going to try out too.

I have the B&W Big Blaze and have never had it turned over. We rotational graze so this model works better for me as I can move it easier. The original Dun Mineral Feeder works excellent if you aren't having to move them. Can always build several I guess.

I put a loop of wire rope through the tread of the tire, and I tow it behind my bike from pasture to pasture. We get so little rain here we don't need it covered.. they get it wet by slobbering in it more than from rain

dun":272m2od4 said:
That's why we use the hanging barrels.

Mine is a mimic of yours. At least of the pictures you have posted here. No weather problems whatsoever. No wasted mineral.

The only complaint I have is that I procastinated way too long. Should have got it done the first time you ever suggested it.

J&D Cattle":2cafnpk8 said:
I have the B&W Big Blaze and have never had it turned over. We rotational graze so this model works better for me as I can move it easier. The original Dun Mineral Feeder works excellent if you aren't having to move them. Can always build several I guess.
I have several but we move them whenever we move the cows. Ain;t no big deal if you connect it to the chain with a big carabiner clip

dun":2iip7au5 said:

I copied you years ago. I have 7 of them in different pastures. Cows are always fine with them. Wherever the Bull is, he'll empty them. It's a play toy. Have had several Bulls behave the same.

fitz

fitz":6vb6cc9p said:
dun":6vb6cc9p said:

I copied you years ago. I have 7 of them in different pastures. Cows are always fine with them. Wherever the Bull is, he'll empty them. It's a play toy. Have had several Bulls behave the same.

fitz
Our bulls have just used them a pendulums to bash and swing

dun":jo6ons4q said:
Our bulls have just used them a pendulums to bash and swing

Same thing here with my barrels.

A short while back, Bez posted a mineral feeder set-up that I really liked the looks of. Looked and sounded like a really neat system.

Katherine

Latest posts