Advice needed

Help Support CattleToday:

mbdexter

Reaction score
Hello

I am looking for some advice from you fine people. About three weeks a ago I sold a couple of dexter calves to a lady. I received a deposit and the people were supposed to come back and pick of the calves at a later time. My yard was to wet to load the calves the day that they came to see them. Now my problem is that I have been trying to get a hold of people for all most two weeks. I have left a lot of messages as well as emails and i have not heard anything. I have had other phone calls from other people and I am sure that I could have sold the calves and I am in the middle of calving and I need the Pen space. Would you sell the calves to other people ans return the deposit? Or just keep the deposit and sell the calves?

Any input would be great !

I'll bet they call you back when you leave a message that you will sell the calves to someone else if they do not pick up by xx date. Nothing gets people more interested than money lost.

You could also leave a message that after 30 days from the original payment date you will charge for boarding/ pasture leasing.

mbdexter":7izfh0ng said:
Hello

Or just keep the deposit and sell the calves?

Hello to you too.

Keeping the deposit and selling the calves is out of the question.

My word is more valuable than a whole herd of cattle. If I were you, I'd keep my word on the deal. Those folks could have had a traffic accident or something. Leave a message and give a deadline.

Do you have their address/mailing address? As well as leaving a message for the on the answering machine, I think I would send a certified letter to them. That way you'll know they got it. I wouldn't sell something someone has put a deposit on.

If you know their physical address, maybe you could deliver the calves. I know it would be a pain, but it would free up your space.

Alice

I really dont like being in this situation your in so Good luck

But its up to you all the comments where good but on the flip side if it has been almost a month your paying for some one elses calves to feed and unless you said go ahead and keep the calves here then go ahead and sell them and give them back there diposit

Thanks
Isaac V

You made a deal with those folks and it should be honored. If nothing else, send them a certified letter giving them 10 days to pick up the calves or you will sell them and deduct boarding charges from their deposit. If you have to deliver them, add $$ for the delivery charge.

Now for 20/20 hindsight...

Anytime we sell an animal that is not picked up we have a written agreement that says you're given X days to pick up the cattle. After that, we start our usual daily boarding charge. When they pick up the animals, they pay any balance due plus accrued boarding charges. In some instances we have boarded other's animals for as long as 6 months (as agreed) at X dollars a day.

backhoeboogie":lgyqwsuj said:
mbdexter":lgyqwsuj said:
Hello

Or just keep the deposit and sell the calves?

Hello to you too.

Keeping the deposit and selling the calves is out ohe questionf t.

My word is more valuable than a whole herd of cattle. If I were you, I'd keep my word on the deal. Those folks could have had a traffic accident or something. Leave a message and give a deadline.

Im with bhb on this you are as good as your word.These people could give you a bad rep to

rattler

hmmm what would i do? i think i would be nice and just deliever them. who knows what mighta happened. you could be doing them a great favor. and getting rid of them. so its a win win situation in that case. i would never even consider keeping the deposit and selling the calves. they gave you the deposit so oviously they want the calves.

Just out of curiosity, why was it too wet to load the calves? Couldn't get the trailer close enough and couldn't move the calves to a pen with trailer access?

I'd honor the agreement and deliver the calves for a charge. If they didn't sign anything agreeing on boarding charges past a certain date, I don't think you should charge them for boarding the calves.

I'd also work on some farm improvements to ensure that you can load calves when it's wet. Seems like it would have been a whole lot easier for both of you. Just an idea.

vs_cattle":2skoqdnm said:
also keep in mind that this people still havent contacted him after many messages have been left
keep in mind they also made the deposit. so i think they'll still want the calves.

vs_cattle":20ybymbk said:
also keep in mind that this people still havent contacted him after many messages have been left

Yeah

I understand how some of you are saying give em a chance, but how much is enough. if he cant get in touch with these people after a month I feel he has no choice. If he needs the space sell em to someone else and send their deposit back. Sorry but I've been screwed way too many times.

I'm with Running Arrow Bill on this one. You have to accomplish two things before you can sell those calves to someone else; you have to get in contact with them and you have to tell them you are going to.

I would not send the deposit back. The deposit is yours. You held the calves for them when you could have sold them to someone else. You need to send them a certified letter giveing them notice that the calves will be sold within a specified time frame with board added. If they do not pick them up within that time frame, sell them elsewhere. The deposit is yours to keep, if you held up your end of the deal. Otherwise why would you have gotten one in the first place?
Next time have this in writing when you make the deal, it will clairify what you have agreed upon.

A deposit is for the seller to hold the animals for a certain amount of time, and to not sell them to anyone else, missing the sale afterwards. If the buyer does not show up at the time he is supposed to, then the deposit covers the time spent caring for the animals, advertising again, and spending more time showing the animals and making phone calls, etc.....

I would put it in writing, send it to them and if they didn't show up on the day they are supposed to, then the deposit will cover the trouble it takes to start all over. If you have a paper, you can put a small add that says if the animals aren't picked up, that you will void the sale. Then if someone wants to question you about it, then you have a copy of the letter and the small add too. What more can a person do?

I understand about reputation and your word, but it doesn't mean that you will feed and board animals free either. Most people that you deal with are fair, but there will always be one or two in the bunch. Looks like you got one of em'!!!
Chuckie

Latest posts