Advice needed on common fence issue...

Help Support CattleToday:

sd i tread this theres two very clear choices.1 you can pen his horses an charge him so much to get emm back.2 you can put in a new fence on the line.an charge him his share of the fence.if he doent pay thats fine to.atlest his horsers wont be eating your grass.

Hi all -- thanks for the pointers.

We are taking the week of Christmas off so you know what we'll be doing -- running fence of course!

You are all correct:
- we are responsible and as such will protect our livestock
- we do not tolerate the stealing of feed off our pasture and this will cease as well with a good gate with lock
- the boundary fence will be on the property line and NOT giving him another inch of land
- we will forward 2 estimates from fence companies and ask that he pay half via certified mail, and then

...turn it over!

Thanks msscamp for the kick in the shorts not to give this jerk any more control of my days or my choices -- if he chooses to be a creep, he can deal with it, it's not my problem.

California by the way requires boundary fences to be shared equally amongst neighbors unless you have not had livestock running the property for a period of 5 years or more.

If he pays he pays. If not, well we're not the kind of folks to go around suing and threatening people, we're too busy tending our own business.

Thanks again all for letting me vent.

DavisBeefmasters":28gp1s2u said:
Thanks msscamp for the kick in the shorts not to give this jerk any more control of my days or my choices -- if he chooses to be a creep, he can deal with it, it's not my problem.

You're welcome. :) I wish you the very best!

Thanks again all for letting me vent.

Isn't that what friends are for? :)

Ther's times when you may have to bight the bullet,but it's always best to not be at war with your neighbor. What goes around comes around double. Had a man in our area like the one mentioned. It didn't take long for everyone to figure him out and when he got in a bind and needed help we were all to busy to lend him a hand. In other words it's just a matter of time and he will have his own grave dug.

Cal

Alice":375igzmv said:
Susie David":375igzmv said:
String your new fence a foot on your side of the property line and leave the old fence in place...a couple of gate posts and a gate with a chain and padlock will give him your message.
DMc

This seems like it would make the most sense and have the least amount of confrontation. I'm so glad we haven't had to deal with this kind of stuff...

Alice

This is what I would do to. Heck with him. Best not to get in a tizz with him since the world is round and you one day may have to eat some crow if you say something out of place. JMO

Bad situation, but one in which you just do what you have to do. And in this case, it means to put up fence.

Better to do the correct thing now than to have a constant conflict for years to come. That's how people tend to get hurt. One day, this is all going to come back to haunt your neighbor. Watch and see.

One other thought... don't let the horses suffer because of a horses a$$ for a neighbor.

Had a simular problem a number of years ago, neighbors had grazed down their pastures and their cows were breaking down our fence to get into our ungrazed pasture. Husband had just fixed the stretch that spring their cows broke 5 new wooden posts. Told them to fix it. They did a poor job and the cows were back the next day.
Not really great neighbors. Because we made them fix the damage they chased our horses with their dirt bikes during hunting season.
We took out a gate in a different pasture that they liked to access without permission. Kicked them off when they were out shooting prairie dogs with their buddies in the middle of our herd.
They sold out and moved away.

Avalon husband grandfather had that type of bull problem too. He fixed it after 3 phone calls to the owner to come get his bull. Last call was come get your steer. :shock: :lol:

Latest posts