Advice I wished I had taken

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
When CB advised that I sleep with a pillow pressed against my stomach and do not hiccup, fart, cough, laugh or sneeze until I heal up.......I wished I had listened. I had some sinus drainage during the night which made me go into an involuntary coughing fit. Evidently I ripped the stitches out of the internal incisions which caused bleeding which in turn pooled up under the skin of my stomach which in turn exerted a lot of pressure on my wound which in turn put me in severe pain. I went back to the doc this morning and he drained the blood off to relieve the pressure and is seeing if it will still heal. If not healing..... back in he will have to go and make repairs.

I found out that he actually cut my navel completely out, pushed my intestine back through the hole where my navel was, inserted a mesh thingy that looks like a shuttlecock to seal it off and the re-stitched it all up. Just the thought of cutting my navel completely out makes me cringe :yuck:

dun":3ab12o12 said:
So instead of an "innie" or an "outie" you're a "nonie"
resewed it back on.....I'll know if it is an inne or outie when the swelling goes down.

A whole lifetime ago I had a double hernia. Doctor told me I was not to cough,sneeze or laugh for a couple of months. Told him I usually spend the winter with a cold and cough and I had allergies. He gave me a pill as big as my thumb to take every day. Don't remember what it was but I never felt better and didn't get a cold that winter or have allergy issues that spring. I lacked a sense of humor anyway so it was all covered. :)

You need some better drugs.

Hope it gets better. Hang in there.

I wish I'd followed my own advice and not opened this thread. (I left the laughing smiley out just so that you wouldn't chuckle and hurt yourself worse.)
Hope you heal quick, Hoss. I have to admit about half of my concern is for selfish reasons... It sounds REALLY horrible and I don't even like to think about it.

HOSS":3tp4y8ds said:
When CB advised that I sleep with a pillow pressed against my stomach and do not hiccup, fart, cough, laugh or sneeze until I heal up.......I wished I had listened. I had some sinus drainage during the night which made me go into an involuntary coughing fit. Evidently I ripped the stitches out of the internal incisions which caused bleeding which in turn pooled up under the skin of my stomach which in turn exerted a lot of pressure on my wound which in turn put me in severe pain. I went back to the doc this morning and he drained the blood off to relieve the pressure and is seeing if it will still heal. If not healing..... back in he will have to go and make repairs.

I found out that he actually cut my navel completely out, pushed my intestine back through the hole where my navel was, inserted a mesh thingy that looks like a shuttlecock to seal it off and the re-stitched it all up. Just the thought of cutting my navel completely out makes me cringe :yuck:

A friend had colon surgery. During a recent repair on the surgery the MD used mesh. He tells me the mesh is itching him from the inside, best I can explain it. Good luck to you Hoss.

lavacarancher":2a8hs349 said:
dun":2a8hs349 said:
So instead of an "innie" or an "outie" you're a "nonie"

DON'T LAUGH!

They always told me if your belly button came off your butt would fall off.
I'll let the emoticons do the work for me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

john250":3mb1dzag said:
HOSS":3mb1dzag said:

A friend had colon surgery. During a recent repair on the surgery the MD used mesh. He tells me the mesh is itching him from the inside, best I can explain it. Good luck to you Hoss.
Yes the mesh itches. I have learned the hard way to not try and scratch it.......that really hurts.

sorry to hear that hoss,those caughing fitts can cause us alot of pain.i got on a real bad caughing fitt an messed my back up.an that landed me in the ER a while back with a blown back.

bigbull338":36tiwjra said:
sorry to hear that hoss,those caughing fitts can cause us alot of pain.i got on a real bad caughing fitt an messed my back up.an that landed me in the ER a while back with a blown back.
I used to get bronchitis real bad. I coughed so hard I broke 2 ribs once. I didn't learn from that and repeated it the next year :x

Coughing is bad but at least you know it's coming, it's the unexpected sneeze that will kill you!

dun":3f0qqwe6 said:
Coughing is bad but at least you know it's coming, it's the unexpected sneeze that will kill you!

Amen to that. I told Hoss that pillow is his best friend, been down that road.
I got out the second day after getting home. Told myself you need to walk a little so I decided to walk around the house. Got hit by a sneeze attack I now know what it feel's like to be shot, cut with a chain saw, stabbed with a knife and hit by a brick all at the same time.
I went back in the house and curled up in the fetal postion.

Today was a better day. I cut my pain meds in half. I got a heifer calf up (the one with pink-eye) and put on a new patch and gave her more LA200. She seems to be doing better as well. I am getting sick of this inactivity. I am trying to be careful and not do too much but I am going crazy with the sitting around watching grass grow.

I sometimes think the recovery period is worse then the orignal problem

Hoss, I can only echo everybody elses thoughts and advise. It's a good time to read. American History is good. It normally doesn't cause one to laugh

Ouachita":2rjj3xsg said:
Hoss, I can only echo everybody elses thoughts and advise. It's a good time to read. American History is good. It normally doesn't cause one to laugh
But current history wopuld tend to make you cry!

dun":1239r113 said:
Ouachita":1239r113 said:
But current history wopuld tend to make you cry!
I agree. I should have qualified my suggestion by saying "pre-dun" history. :lol2: Sorry, couldn't help myself dun. But you are right, I should have said "OLD" history ;-)