Adventures of Coletrane

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I always thought that Cole was a bit "off", (read: retarded), but now I think he can't see very well. His eyes have always looked too close together. I get up early, before dawn, and go outside. I got him some food today and put it in his dish and I watched him come around and miss the bowl several times trying to find the food. If I stand real still he can't tell I'm out there and then he's like, "Oh! Hello!" when he sees me move. His eyes don't look cloudy. I just don't think he sees well. Anyone else have this problem with the dog? It was a full moon this morning and bright.

He may have diabetes, poor vision is a sure sign. I lost my little dog Sweetpea because of it. She acted the same way in the beginning, then her eyes got cloudy an she went blind.
I would take him to the vet. Good luck with him.

He is a little on the chubby side. All those dead things he eats.

Their eyesight can go bad as they get older, even if you can't see cataracts in their eyes. We have a 15-yr old Pomeranian and he is stone deaf and his eyesight is fading. He has to be within a few feet to catch a hand signal now. We had a Great Dane that went night blind at about 5 years. The electricty went out one evening and she didn't want to come up the stairs to the front porch and the house. She finally came very slowly and carefully, putting her nose on each step to "measure" before she stepped up on it. That was when we realized she couldn't see squat unless there was good light. So if your Cole is aging, that's probably all it is. It is odd that he fumbled around his food dish because the sense of smell should have helped him.

May not be his eyes that are off,may be his nose.. We are sight first-dogs are scent first.

Thanks Jo. He's a pretty good dog all in all. I think he wasn't hungry or something. That, and he won't eat in front of you unless he has some tasty scraps that he thinks the other dog will get.

Latest posts