Adventures in babysitting

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Call it adventures in babysitting, or the normal term of hiring subcontractors. I hate it, but its a part of running a business I guess. Summers are usually very busy for me. The schools let out and Im called in to pressure wash as much concrete as they can afford. This job we just finished up today was over 100,000 sq ft. So I brought in a guy I've used before. His work is slow but he is good. This year, he shows up with 75ft of pressure hose. Normal minimum is 200. I swear he spent more time moving his equipment than working. Then his equipment isn't workin right, so he's even slower and I have to diagnose and repair it for him. :bang:
I normally bonus my subs if we make a schedule that I lay out, but with him not showin up until 9:30 3 days, him being slow, he's not getting one and he knows it. Went a day over schedule.
We start another one in 2 weeks and he better show up on time with all the equipment in working order or he won't be working. He knows that too. The other 2 subs that will be in that job will be happy to take his pay and work.
Sometimes I wonder if its better to kill myself working more just so I don't have to babysit people

Well I don't suppose we can all be as perfect as you :roll: . Do it yourself and stop griping....

When we have had extra employees to be able to take more jobs we end up making less. With insurance,taxes,paying them to not get enough done,and tearing stuff up, we just try to do as much as we can on our own and have as little help as possible. I know your talking subs instead of your own employees and we still have the same things with them to, most of the time it is a struggle to get them to show up, or since there hasn't been a lot of work for a while they try to get rich on one job when they can get one.

alisonb":1hrkwh73 said:
Well I don't suppose we can all be as perfect as you :roll: . Do it yourself and stop griping....
Showing up on time ready to work has nothing to do with being perfect. It's just one of the hassles of having subs or employees.

hooknline":2clqssl0 said:
alisonb":2clqssl0 said:
Showing up on time ready to work has nothing to do with being perfect. It's just one of the hassles of having subs or employees.

I would put you on the unemployment train faster for being tardy along with a couple others than anything else.
Others were abusing sick leave or showing up drunk or high. All three cases you were absolutely worthless as an employee, why have you on the pay roll.

Very true. He's done we'll for me in the past and I'm somewhat reluctant to cut him loose because e has a new baby. He's supposed to be a professional but showing up late and without all the right equipment and not in good running condition doesn't look good. I'm sure he got the message

hooknline":17ana0dz said:
Very true. He's done we'll for me in the past and I'm somewhat reluctant to cut him loose because e has a new baby. He's supposed to be a professional but showing up late and without all the right equipment and not in good running condition doesn't look good. I'm sure he got the message
Just what was your involvement in bringing about this new baby?
You must have had some part in it to take responsibility.
Like Rachel said in the Zimmerman trial, "You get it ?" :lol:

Ya shoulda went and picked him up, gave him a long hose, and provided some energy drink for him. That's the American way, July 2013. You'll be lucky if he doesn't find this thread, call some community organizer and sue your skinny butt off.

Ryder":2tbza5dz said:
hooknline":2tbza5dz said:
Just what was your involvement in bringing about this new baby?
You must have had some part in it to take responsibility.
Like Rachel said in the Zimmerman trial, "You get it ?" :lol:
I get it. He knows he needs to show up on time ready to work or don't show up at all. :tiphat:
I do provide gator aid on the job greybeard. Does that count? :mrgreen:

Apparently I have to hire subs to do my job because I broke my arm patting myself on the back. That is if you pay any heed to Alison or 3way.

Started the other job today. They show up ready to work. Until about 11. Then he has to run home because he has his girlfriends keys and her cars about to be towed. Gone for 2.5 hrs. When he got back i told him to go back home.
He's done.

weve had our share of employees with personal problems, that spill over into the work place...im alway concerned about some of the ones that are ready to go to work at anytime, because they dont ever seem to have another job to leave...

He just has too many excuses for this and that when the real reason is he is dumb. Why have his gf's keys? Why not show up on time, etc.
it's called preparation. And he can't figure out why his business is slow.

:shock: How dare you fire someone for not doing their job....LOL Actually I would have done the same brother hook lol :clap:

hooknline":1cqbame1 said:
Started the other job today. They show up ready to work. Until about 11. Then he has to run home because he has his girlfriends keys and her cars about to be towed. Gone for 2.5 hrs. When he got back i told him to go back home.
He's done.

Maybe he has a girlfriend that just has or needed that afternoon delight thing going on.
That kinda thing's hard to turn down.

(I'm old but I ain't dead)

greybeard":9qjhqva1 said:
hooknline":9qjhqva1 said:
He's done.

Maybe he has a girlfriend that just has or needed that afternoon delight thing going on.

I agree but if you are punching someone elses clock you better show will power and turn it down or you will be doing the duffel bag drag home.

greybeard":1okz1j4a said:
hooknline":1okz1j4a said:
He's done.

I wouldn't doubt it. But not my problem..beyond having to pick up his slack. He only lives 20 minutes away from the job.
This is why I call using employees or subs babysitting.

This is not a new thing. I grew up with my Dad running a plywood mill that operated 24/7. It was a constant problem for him. People were expected to be standing there ready to take over for the guy on the shift ahead of them. I remember him saying that if I didn't need you at 7:00 I sure don't need you at 7:15. He would say if your car won't start you better call a cab. he thought it was better to pay cab fare than to lose your job. That was in the 50's and 60's.
Then I worked in the woods for years. If the crew bus was picking you up at 5:00 AM, you better not be there at 5:01 because they would have left you. In fact if they got there at 4:55 and you weren't there they would leave without you. And there were jobs where I drove an hour to catch the crew bus so you had to allow a little extra time to make sure you got there before they did.