Administering penicillin

Help Support CattleToday:

redrick

Reaction score
The vet said to give my cow penicillin. I have her isolated in the barn. I thought it might be easier to put the medicine in her feed rather than wrestle with her to inject it. I don't have the best set up. Could this be harmful to her?

Unless you have an antibiotic DESIGNED to be fed to an animal putting it in the feed is not a good idea. It may or may not harm the animal, but chances are good that the digestive processes will ruin the effect of the drug. As well, giving medicine by a needle will get the drug into her system faster anyways.

redrick":2hs6ard8 said:
The vet said to give my cow penicillin. I have her isolated in the barn. I thought it might be easier to put the medicine in her feed rather than wrestle with her to inject it. I don't have the best set up. Could this be harmful to her?

You might want to talk to your vet and see if something along the lines of Chlortetracyline will work for whatever you're treating. Chlortetracyline is marketed under the brand name of Auromycin, and it can be mixed in with the feed. If it will do whatever it is you're trying to accomplish, check with your local feed/farm and ranch stores to see if they carry the smaller bags.

redrick":dpzs1rl4 said:

Most of the large animal vets in cattle areas have chutes they can bring on a trailer. IF you have the cow in a barn there is probably a place the vet could back a chute up to a door and catch her right and safely for the shot(s). It is worth the slight extra cost.

I am sorry but I am not a fan of the panel squeezing her in a corner approach. These are 1500 lb animals that are much stronger than we are and most old barn gates and panel attachment points. Especially if she is sick and gets riled up you or someone else can get seriously hurt.

I tried the panel approach on an ornery cow I was trying to cull - she said she was not going where I want her to and just pushed the panel I was pushing on breaking the attachment point. the panel and cow came over on me. Fortunately not too serious but the next week I built a loading chute that would load King Kong (for you old movie fans) and finally got that cow off of my place! Working the cattle is a lot more pleasant now for both me and the cattle.

Thanks for all the input.Prior to my first post I tried to squeeze her with a panel in the stall, couldn't hold her. We ended up loading her onto a divided two horse trailer and was able to medicate her. Again, thanks. And by the way, she has a snotty nose, bought her at the sale barn, thats why the vet said use penicllin.

i don't mean to go against what your vet told you but if she came from a sale barn and has a runny nose I would look at something stronger. Watch her closely for more things like a cough or drooping ears. Usually one shot of penicillin will not take care of the problem.

The vet advised to administer 20cc a day for four days. Is this not adequate?

again i don't want to go against the vet but watch it very close. If anything changes call the vet again. Many people including myself use something stronger and only have to give it one time.

Latest posts