Administering Nuflor

Help Support CattleToday:

ROB

Reaction score
do any of you have a problem with administering Nuflor at the single doseage rate of 6cc/100 lb. bodyweight (subcutaneously) rather than two doses at the rate of 3cc/100 lb. bodyweight (intramuscularly) 72 hours apart - for a 600 lb (or larger) calf? I seem to have better luck treating with Nuflor at the single doseage rate - but i dont have to treat bigger calves very often. i understand that the doseage is proportionately the same for the various weights, but Nuflor is a pretty potent medicine and it makes me wonder if the 36cc doseage is too much at one time for a 600 lb calf. Any opinions?

Thanks,
ROB

i usually just go with one dose using 3ml/100lb, it has worked fine for me.jmo

Outrigger2":1v1xsijd said:

If i can keep the cow and calf up (or can readily get the calf back in) i sometimes use 3cc/100lb. but it never fails, if i dont follow up with the second treatment, the calf will have a re-occurrance which is usually harder to treat.

ROB

If the drug is labeled to be given at that, why are you worried? LA-200 is labeled at 4.5cc per 100, and thats how you dose it, right? Why treat the animal twice if you can get it done in one whack?

If that's how it's labeled, that's how it needs to be given. For instance, yes, 60cc's of LA200 to a mature animal feels like a LOT, but that's what's neccessary if you want to treat the animal correctly.

One of the main reasons for antibiotics failing to cure an animal -- is improper dosage. Give what the label says.

milkmaid":1rhvi3s2 said:
If that's how it's labeled, that's how it needs to be given. For instance, yes, 60cc's of LA200 to a mature animal feels like a LOT, but that's what's neccessary if you want to treat the animal correctly.

One of the main reasons for antibiotics failing to cure an animal -- is improper dosage. Give what the label says.

from what the Nuflor label says there is more than one correct way to administer Nuflor. if i think a calf - based on his weight and CONDITION - needs 60 cc's of LA200, or 40cc's of Nuflor, or whatever- you can dang sure bet he will get it. but a lot of the time you catch something coming on quick enough that the animal is not in total distress, do you go ahead and give the recommended single dose (out of convenience), or the recommended dual dose? not to be repetitive but Nuflor is potent. too much in the system can cause loss of appetite, dehydration and diarrhea - which isn't good medicine to an already sick animal.

you stated "One of the main reasons for antibiotics failing to cure an animal -- is improper dosage" and i agree wholeheartedily! maybe i should have better stated my original question. instead of "do any of you have a problem with..." - to - have any of you had a problem with...

ROB

most times we have used nuflor only on calves. Once or twice on cows.
I would rather give the two doses.

Reasons...
...If an animal requires nuflor it is usually penned up at home or in the calving area during calving time so it is easy to admin the two doses. As well we can keep an eye on the animal for problems due to the reactions from the drug.
...two doses allows for a more even drug in the system. If given over one day that is alot and then the drug tapers off over time. But if given two doses the drug remains constant over the course of the treatment.

In the same breath, I would rather give the Liquidmycin LP over LA200 just for that same reason...consistant amount in the body for a longer time rather that a high kickstart and then a taper off. But if the animal is out on pasture, LA200 no questions.

ROB":4y5jrdjx said:
Outrigger2":4y5jrdjx said:

If i can keep the cow and calf up (or can readily get the calf back in) i sometimes use 3cc/100lb. but it never fails, if i dont follow up with the second treatment, the calf will have a re-occurrance which is usually harder to treat.

ROB
I think I probably use the same criteria you are talking about ,if I can't easily re-catch the animal I will try to knock it out with the 6/100 dose.After you've gone one way or the other it is hard to tell if things would have turned out different with the other dose.Sometimes I use the lower dose in case I need to switch to something else I won't have to wait as long.I guess my answer to your original question is, I don,t know.I certainly don't dispute your observation and I think if we really analize this thing we would have to say that the lower dose is the more reasonable approach.JMO

Larry

I bought a bull about 5 weeks ago he came down with a breathing problems. We gave the two treatments he did not seem to get better. After 6 days I gave 76 cc, he is better now .
The person that owns the sale barn where I buy from told me any time, that I buy give the nuflor if they did not need it. He said that is what most people do that buy through the barns. To prevent sickness.

The vet told me that why most failure of medicines were they were not given correctly and in the correct amounts and always give plenty.

On calves I always give the 6ml/100 and had good luck. This bull is the first on grown cattle.

I've always bumped it...altho I don't remember anything about 76 ccs of it. And, I always add some banamine with it. AND, I've ALWAYS given Probios with it. Maybe I haven't read this thread right. :oops:

Alice

I've done it both ways and have found that it really is no different so most of the time now I go with the 6cc under the skin. As far as the single dose of 3cc's per 100# I've have had more relaps than sucess this way. Most of the time here lately micotil has been my go to drug, but that tends to change with the application and symptoms if the nuflor has not been able to knock it out most of the time the Micotil will. I think one thing to keep in mind and I know that this has been said on here a million times that there is no silver bullet for any thing and you need to stay flexible and begin to see what works with what applications then you will see your relaps and your cost of meds decrease and your profit increase.

Latest posts