adjusting wheel rake

Help Support CattleToday:

MasseyFerg

Reaction score
what's best way to adjust the down pressure on a wheel rake. Do teeth just touch the ground? or just miss the ground

Mine has chains that you adjust to control pressure. They have to touch to make it work. What brand is it? Mine is a M & W.

they have to touch -- JD and NH have a big bolt and a locking nut that ajust how much they touch -- you want them not to leave any hay -- too far down they'll be digging dirt and not good on tines

Kuhn speed rake should have springs that you compress or lengthen by turning the adjusting nut on the threaded rod that runs thru them. Think the book says start at 10 1/2 inches. I found that was too much pressure. Mine is now set to 9 1/2 inches.

that's what it looked like to me that it was pressing down so hard it's bending the tines quite a bit. thanx

I have the Kuhn rake also mines set at 9.5 because 10.5 was to much . It was bending the tines .

I put shims in my SR110. The coiled spring must be worn out because it will dig.
I cut some rubber shims and placed them between the coils.
Did the trick for me.

Well spring rubbers are one way I guess. The spring on the rake is designed to decrease ground pressure the more you compress the spring. So by adding the spring rubbers you compressed the spring. :shock:

JSCATTLE":18dwbbnp said:
I have the Kuhn rake also mines set at 9.5 because 10.5 was to much . It was bending the tines .

I set it to 9.5" while the rake arms were in the transport position. It was 10 1/2" in from the factory. Raked some hay today and the tines are still digging into the ground 5/16" to 3/8". The hayfield is full of little grooves. Looks to me like its still to much down pressure. what do u think?
thanx

Oh also, how much can you turn with the rake wheels down? I know you aren't supposed to do 90 degrees but what about curves as some of my fields have curves. ;-)

Mine drags a little also . I don't think you can make it not touch the dirt and still pick up the hay . You can make turns with it . I rake about 4 times around a field with it down . I pick it up when going back and fourth . I'd say no sharper than 30 feet if that helps .

JSCATTLE":9tqkwjr9 said:
Mine drags a little also . I don't think you can make it not touch the dirt and still pick up the hay . You can make turns with it . I rake about 4 times around a field with it down . I pick it up when going back and fourth . I'd say no sharper than 30 feet if that helps .

does your dig in that deep? Ground was pretty dry but it was pretty bare so the teeth were running on some bare ground instead of on top of a good stand of grass

Set it down to barely contact the ground and try it out. If it doesn't do a good job picking up hay, lower a bit more. If it does a good job, you could try raising it a bit.

The objective is to adjust the height to do an acceptable job of raking at a height that will put minimal stress on the rake teeth and the rake itself. In short: Experiment until you get it right.

Latest posts