Adjusting tongue on shredder

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Has any one had luck adjusting the tongue on a shredder like this? We have a different tractor that is quite a bit taller and its holding the front of the shredder up a tad high.

I'm thinking backing this off will let it sit down some up front. The back has a sleeve deal between the cross and nut that is turning with the nut. Its kind of the more yellow part. Cant hardly get a pipe wrench on it.

Want to make sure I'm on the right track before I out to much effort in to backing that nut off.

20210902_110935.jpg20210902_110943.jpg20210902_111001.jpg

Ditto, that is what that adjustment is for.

Those tie rods allow the tongue to pivot as well, so the deck stays parallel with the ground as it raises and lowers.

Needs to be adjusted so that the blade height at the front is about 1" lower than the blade height at the back. So that the cutting is only only on the front half of the blade travel. If level, blades are cutting front and back and require more HP. According to the manual.

Thanks. I'll do so adjusting on it. It wasnt cutting great but the blades are trash too so I wasnt sure which was causing it.

@Atimm693 Those tie rods are the devil. I had one back off while I was shredding one time in the pasture. I didnt think I was ever going to get it all back right. I'm still not sure I fully understand which way to turn them. 😄

I know I am late here, but Simme is correct. The blades are designed to cut with the front edge and allow the rear of the blades to clear the vegetation without dragging through it. The optimal amount of slope depends on the height of what you are cutting. This article says 1/2 inch, but I have always been told an inch.

Adjusting Rotary Cutters (lsuagcenter.com)

I was thinking about that as I was cutting. If you put that 1" lower on the front at a certain height it will change when you raise or lower the shredder correct?
I think that rod from the front to the back is supposed to move the front up and down as the cylinder moves the back up and down. Front hitch is hinged where it attaches to the mower body to allow that. So, it tends to remain mostly "level" front to back as it raises and lowers.

Latest posts