Additional deer / turkey hunting lease

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Ok....I currently lease land in west central illinois for bow hunting but have been looking for a place closer to home to rifle hunt and turkey hunt. I met a guy and after several chats got invited to join his hunt club. They have a 10 year lease on 11,000 acres about 45 minutes from me. There are 18 members and 20 is the maximum. They are going to let me allow a friend to join so I have an immediate hunting buddy to make the 20 members complete. The property is shared by a jeep club but they pretty much stay on certain designated trails on top of the mountain. The property is managed by QDMA rules. The cost is only 400.00 per year.....I couldn't shell out the money fast enough. The landowner lives in Ohio and established the hunting club to help keep tresspassing and poaching down. He don't care about the money. He just makes enough off the members to pay the required insurance and maintain the gates. The club provides all labor for upkeep of roads, gates and signage. It also has 4 deep and wide creeks with good fishing and waterfalls for swimming. I may go up there and start scouting this weekend :)

I am so glad that i am surrrounded by National Forest and Arkansas Game and Fish land. Not any private land around me that neighbors aren't welcome to hunt on.If i had to lease a place to hunt on i would quit.

Red Bull Breeder":3i1wzjzm said:
I am so glad that i am surrrounded by National Forest and Arkansas Game and Fish land. Not any private land around me that neighbors aren't welcome to hunt on.If i had to lease a place to hunt on i would quit.

When I was a kid I hunted all over the neighbors farms. All I had to do was ask. Now hunting has become a kings sport.....you gotta pay to play. I understand alot of farmers concerns about harmed livestock, left open gates, damaged property and lawsuits. Sadly this is what we have become.

Sounds like a dream come true. You could probably scout for 2 months and never see the whole property!

Red Bull Breeder said:
Red Bull same here. I have plenty of deer, bear and some turkey to hunt but I don't want to be bothered with city people. I am not looking forward to the day your elk wonder up here.

The first time you see one of the big bull you will think wow hillrancher. Then you willl hear the barbwire breaking and start cussing. Just seems sad to me to have to pay for a place to hunt. I guess i am very blessed to live where i do. I get to see lots of game most every day, deer, elk, turkey, and sometimes bear. Saw a sow bear and two cubs about a week ago while loading hay. I can leave my house walking and be on National Forest land in about a quarter mile, and walk all day and never see any one else. Long ridges and deep hollows with miles and miles of woods. where you drink from any stream you come across is the place for me. I reckon i am a hillbilly.

I think part of the reason for paying to hunt is that you aren;t bothered by the tree hugger loonys bent on spoiling the experience.

dun":7z9mxlv7 said:
I think part of the reason for paying to hunt is that you aren;t bothered by the tree hugger loonys bent on spoiling the experience.

My main reasons for paying to hunt are:

Animal quality is usually better
Less yahoos stinking up the woods with cigerette smoke, beer cans and pleasure riding 4 wheelers at prime time
Access is usually controlled making the experience much more pleasurable
Hunting pressure is lighter
Most folks serious enough about leasing a hunting area are usually pretty safe

This is not a blanket statement about hunters in general it's just what I have experienced here in the more populated east. I have hunted out west and canada several times on public land and have had great experiences.

When you pay for some thing you are guaranteed what was agreed on or you money back, usually. That is a no-brainer over dealing with relatives or neighbors.

I am like you I couldn't have wrote the check fast enough. 11K for 20 people leaves alot of room.

There is only about 3000 acres maybe less of privately owned land in the valley where i live. I only have 4 fulltime live here neighbors and only a couple of ever weekend landowner neighbors. I have a large creek folks have to cross if they come in from the east, and several miles of dirt road to come in from the west. There is Thousands of acres in Ozark National Forest land to the east south and west of me. Then there somewhere around 20 thousand acres of AGF land to the west and north of me plus the Buffalo National River. I live in a very remote area and don't expect ever have the population problems you folks have. If i don't want to see any people i just get a little deeper in the woods.

You got a good deal on what sounds like a nice spot.
I have not yet paid to hunt.
But, I ain't going to tell you what it costs me per year for all my hunting adventures. :oops:

Latest posts