Adding Hydraulic Remotes Ford 7840

Help Support CattleToday:

cre10

Reaction score
I saw a pretty nice low hour Ford 7840 with a front end loader the other day. The odd thing is that it has slots inside for 4 hydraulic remote levers, 8 plug ins, but there are only 2 levers and 4 plugs on the back. What kind of money would I be looking at to add two more levers or is this possible? I was reading about Fosse valves? but would rather have the factory look to it. I want to be able to run it with my loader on and my baler hooked up.

Here is a larger Ford on tractor house with a picture of the inside where it has room for 4 hydraulic levers, but only 3. The one I'm looking at has room for 4, but only 2. http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdet ... ID=5790951

The tractor had some sort of 3 point lift arm buttons on the fenders to lower and raise them without a hand crank. I'm not sure if this has something to do with less hydraulic ports or not.

if you can find the remotes and the linkage it isn't that big of a deal to put the extra factory remotes on
I had 2 remotes on 1 TS110, 3 on a 110A and 4 on another 110
I looked into adding the extra remotes fron NH and the cost was around $3500
it all depends on how the tractor was spec'd out as too how many remotes they have

The remotes valves off of several Ford/NH models will fit it is the linkage that is harder to come by

try www.alexanderstractorparts.com/

they are a ford salvage and parts company

the buttons on the fender are jsut for convenience when hooking/unhooking 3point equipment and has nothing to do with the # of remotes

Even if you can get the parts without too many dollars you may be ahead to pay soneone to do it. I put a second set of remotes on a JD 5510. The parts were only a couple of hundred bucks. After 2 days of having to tear the cab apar to get underneath to put the parts in I shipped it to JD. Took them about 3 hours. They had a lot more experience with the cab and how to get it apart and back to geher then I had.

I found this online. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?U ... =hydraulic

Is the type of joystick valve you were talking about? This might be a stupid question, but how would you add that to a tractor with a cab? it looks like you need the hydraulic in, hydraulic out, and your 4 loader plug ins. The joystick is very close to the manifold or is there a way to mount it under the cab and have the joystick extend up into the cab? My 7740 has 4 hydraulic remotes on it with the loader, but a joystick would be very handy as would one on this 7840 I'm looking at!

After some searching and reading I'm seeing cable controlled joysticks where the manifold is outside the cab and all you do is run the cables into the cab with the joystick. I don't see any aftermarket cable controlled joysticks though. I see where Westendorf and Koyker offer them with their new loaders, but don't see any to add on. There are a lot of joysticks for open cab tractors.

Not to steal the thread but I've used a joystick for almost 15 years and still think it sucks compared to the old dual handle type

Dun, what are your complaints about joysticks? I'm so used to running Bobcats that loading hay on trailers with my tractors with the levers is a hassle.

cre10":3i9pi9aj said:
Dun, what are your complaints about joysticks? I'm so used to running Bobcats that loading hay on trailers with my tractors with the levers is a hassle.
I just can;t seem to do the same stuff as easily with them as I can with the duals. Old pharts not grasping new stuff that's supposedly better is probably the cause

dun":hlgcxz2a said:
cre10":hlgcxz2a said:
I just can;t seem to do the same stuff as easily with them as I can with the duals. Old pharts not grasping new stuff that's supposedly better is probably the cause
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I would rather run a joystick any day but have ran both, yrs ago all of the Cat loaders had a 2 lever system

I may be getting all tangled up in the terminology here but I have a cable control joystick on my tractor and use one of the tractor remotes (two hose fittings) to power the loader. The tractor only has two remotes and two "levers" inside the cab. The loader hydraulics stay plugged in all the time - I've never unplugged them. When I need to operate the loader I engage the "lever" for the remote that is connected to the loader and use the joystick to control the bucket or hay spear. The one thing I don't necessarily like about the joystick is that I can't operate two directions at once. In other words, I can't bucket "tilt" and bucket "up" at the same time with the joystick. Havin' two levers , one for "tilt" and one for "up or down" could be operated at the same time by a deft operator.

In all the equipment that I use that is hydraulically operated I've never needed more than two remotes. Not sayin' it's not possible to need more than two remotes but what would you use a three or four remote station for? Just askin".

lavacarancher":3psbb7wu said:
I may be getting all tangled up in the terminology here but I have a cable control joystick on my tractor and use one of the tractor remotes (two hose fittings) to power the loader. The tractor only has two remotes and two "levers" inside the cab. The loader hydraulics stay plugged in all the time - I've never unplugged them. When I need to operate the loader I engage the "lever" for the remote that is connected to the loader and use the joystick to control the bucket or hay spear. The one thing I don't necessarily like about the joystick is that I can't operate two directions at once. In other words, I can't bucket "tilt" and bucket "up" at the same time with the joystick. Havin' two levers , one for "tilt" and one for "up or down" could be operated at the same time by a deft operator.

In all the equipment that I use that is hydraulically operated I've never needed more than two remotes. Not sayin' it's not possible to need more than two remotes but what would you use a three or four remote station for? Just askin".
your joystick isn't hooked direct to the hydraulics if it is ran thru the remote
the ones I am talking about are
as for you not being able to do 2 functions at once I can't explain that unless it has something to do with it being plumbed thru your remote I can do 2 functions with all of my joysticks that are plumbed direct (ie raise and curl, dump and curl) at the same time

I have a few pieces of equipment that you need 3 remotes on my batwing brushog, Rockpicker, the neighbors blade it has tilt ,angle and a set of hyd rippers have ran something else that needed 3 remotes just can't think of it off hand

Angus Cowman":3lt7m3jd said:
lavacarancher":3lt7m3jd said:

your joystick isn't hooked direct to the hydraulics if it is ran thru the remote
the ones I am talking about are Yes, got ya. That's what I didn't understand.
as for you not being able to do 2 functions at once I can't explain that unless it has something to do with it being plumbed thru your remote I can do 2 functions with all of my joysticks that are plumbed direct (ie raise and curl, dump and curl) at the same time I think it has to do with the joystick. I have a Koyker and I physically can't move the joystick in two directions at once. I can only go forward or bac or left and right in one motion. Can't do forward/left (for example) at the same time. I know the hydraulics don't care.

Since I don't own a batwing mower I never really thought about it havin' to have more than two remotes. I guess one for left side, one for right side and one for settin' the cut height.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a few pieces of equipment that you need 3 remotes on my batwing brushog, Rockpicker, the neighbors blade it has tilt ,angle and a set of hyd rippers have ran something else that needed 3 remotes just can't think of it off hand

lavacarancher":35719q76 said:
I think it has to do with the joystick. I have a Koyker and I physically can't move the joystick in two directions at once. I can only go forward or bac or left and right in one motion. Can't do forward/left (for example) at the same time. I know the hydraulics don't care.

that is kind of odd that it won't do 2 at once

Angus Cowman":3st94tjo said:
lavacarancher":3st94tjo said:
I think it has to do with the joystick. I have a Koyker and I physically can't move the joystick in two directions at once. I can only go forward or bac or left and right in one motion. Can't do forward/left (for example) at the same time. I know the hydraulics don't care.

that is kind of odd that it won't do 2 at once
I had a Farmtrac that was like that. Put in a dual handled spool and it worked perfectly

Latest posts