Ad without the price

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Does anyone else find it aggravating to see cattle or machinery for sale on the net without the price advertised? You know what you want for your stuff put it on there. I havent got time to call and ask everbody what they want . I usaully figure the reason the price isnt listed is because it is to high.

denoginnizer":3e497oaj said:
Does anyone else find it aggravating to see cattle or machinery for sale on the net without the price advertised? You know what you want for your stuff put it on there. I havent got time to call and ask everbody what they want . I usaully figure the reason the price isnt listed is because it is to high.

The price isn't listed because they want you to call. Then the next thing they will want is for you to come out and look at the offering. That's when they try to get you. Car salespeople use this technique all the time. The benefit it gives you is the chance to haggle on the price.

denoginnizer":321idbww said:

This technique is good to get rid of the tire kickers so they don't bother you (so you can be more productive..time is money and money is time). Usually the people that end up calling without a price listed usually are very serious, have adequate funding (upper middle class or higher), are not worried about pinching pennies, and really need the merchandise listed. Also, very few times have I ever sold something higher than a listed price. Therefore, the seller has a disadvantage if a price is listed because they are usually locked down and can only move price downward and the buyer has the advantage because they can price shop. It could be better to not list a price and when a call comes in, grab the caller's phone number and call them right back before providing a very high price. It is easier to close a deal coming down from a high price and closing a deal is the objective. However, if you are selling cattle, you would want to change a couple of selling details listed above.

Usually the people that end up calling without a price listed usually are very serious, have adequate funding (upper middle class or higher), are not worried about pinching pennies, and really need the merchandise listed. Suckers :lol:

"Sucker" is not the word I would use. Many times the gross margin held is less when not listing price but there are usually more deals made. The point I am making is the difference in the quality of buyer is established early on and productive time is maximized.

if its cattle an they fitt my needs.i have no prob calling an getting the price an other info.the last 2 reg cows i bought was bought over the phone.an i sent a friend to look over them.an he told me to buy them.so i called the guy that afternoon an bought them.

HerefordSire":uzxnzkgo said:
"Sucker" is not the word I would use. Many times the gross margin held is less when not listing price but there are usually more deals made. The point I am making is the difference in the quality of buyer is established early on and productive time is maximized.

Some very good points made, Herefordsire!!
:nod:

I don't like to advertise.

When I am looking to buy something, I want to know what it costs.

Any time I sell something I advertise the price. If someone wants to haggle, I am done. Don't even call me if you want to haggle. I have been known to raise the price to hagglers and lock them out of the pasture before I drive off. They can just buy lower quality hay for higher prices down the road for all I care.

If People can't afford hay for those high dollar horses, I am not going to sell it for less than cost. They need to sell their horses. They demand the hay be weed free and if you deliver it, you'll see the horses standing in knee deep weeded lots almost every time.

backhoeboogie":2e2j0goq said:
Any time I sell something I advertise the price. If someone wants to haggle, I am done. Don't even call me if you want to haggle. I have been known to raise the price to hagglers

Are we kin by any chance, I'm the same way.

dun":374akc0y said:
backhoeboogie":374akc0y said:
Any time I sell something I advertise the price. If someone wants to haggle, I am done. Don't even call me if you want to haggle. I have been known to raise the price to hagglers

Are we kin by any chance, I'm the same way.
Had a guy call and ask me about some hay I told him $35 a bale he says I can buy it from so and so for $30 will you take that I said no but I will take $37.50 he says it was $35 a minute ago I said well if so and so can get $30 for junk I can get $37.50 for my good hay

That is one good example for selling over list price. However, if you don't have a list price, it is much easier psycholgically to get what you worked for. There is nothing wrong in making an honest living and honest markup for a days work! However, a commoditiy is hard to hold margins. The quality is the secret but we must always be honest.

A couple of other pointers (plug in different numbers if you wish):

Don't be scared to politely knock the socks off of someone with price. You want their thinking very high. There is nothing wrong with making a profit. If you have hay that cost $30 per bale to produce, there is nothing wrong with asking $45 per bale. If the consumer balks and you need the money and you like the person your are talking to, sacrifice and sell it to them for $40 per bale..."just because I like you and I need the money". If they balk again and you need the money, ask them if they would be willing to take some lighter bales for $37.5 per bale with the same quality but the transportation may cost a tad more. If they balk again, "heck, what would I have to do to earn your business since we know the quality is there?" If they say less than $37 per bale, then get their phone number and tell them you are considering their offer. If they decide to do business with you at $37 per bale and you have more hay in stock, tell them since you need the money if you buy twice as much I will dump it for $35 per bale if you pick it up today. You get the idea. You deserve to make a living!

Ryder":at2fxek0 said:
Haggling is "cheap". I am talking character, not money.

I think that is obvious Ryder. Noone is recommending less than perfect honesty. So if you believe the seller has excellent character, you will pay $45 in the above example relative to $35 with a seller of tad less character?

I found in this area when there is no list price the item is not how it's described to get people to look at it. When you call about it to find out a little info most of the time they don't want to tell you any info witch turns me off right away. I can under stand that some things will seam to be over priced and you need to see it to understand why it was priced high.

If the seller can not give me decent info or seams to not want to answer simple questions then I'm not going to waist my time to go look at it. I have gone to look at to much stuff that is in "good working condition" or "ready to run" and it has bald flat tires or needs a new something so it might work for a few hours.

Never been a Hillbilly worth spit that didn't like to haggle over a good trade. You fellers is anti Hillbilly. It just ain't good country manners not to dicker on a trade.

I never understood why people advertise something for sale without a price, if you want to sell it you bound to know what you want for it. I think when you fail to price it you miss some people who never call thinking it is too high. I think you can save yourself time by pricing it.
A trader friend of mine always asks someone what they want for it, he never makes an offer, he says its yours you price it, now he might haggle with you after you price but never flat out offers.

Latest posts