Ad without the price

Help Support CattleToday:

I might think some things worth $2000 and your thinking about selling for $1500 then I just ucked my self unless you're going to talk me down. If you will not tell me the price them I guess what I could get for it when the price of scrap is down and tell that price and stick to it.

What amazes me is that the "no haggler" folks then REALLY do go to the auto dealership and pay full sticker price when they need a vehicle!!!

BeefmasterB":2ajde1g6 said:
What amazes me is that the "no haggler" folks then REALLY do go to the auto dealership and pay full sticker price when they need a vehicle!!!
How well can you dicker at the grocery store, gas station or feed mill?

BeefmasterB":3nopptja said:

I hate buying a car or truck for that very reason. Buying a vehicle shouldn't require gamesmanship.

One of the best purchasing experiences I ever had was buying a tractor. The owner showed me his cost and told me what he wanted for a markup. I felt like it was a fair deal, we shook hands, and I bought myself a tractor. He gained my trust and I felt good about the deal. I wish every transaction could go as smooth.

It really it not worth dickering unless the cash volume is large enough to justify your time. For example, if the retail price for one ton of feed is $300 I wouldn't save much if I found a seller to provide a ton for $275. Just the time to locate the needed phone numbers and the phone costs, not even counting separate transportations costs, may be more than $25 based upon normal salaries. However, if I bought 100 tons in one instance, it would likely be worth the time. In the same token, if the price of POT - NYSE is $73.00 bid by $73.05 ask, it wouldn't hurt entering a bid for $72.75 bid as long as the price moved down to $72.75 before she went up. Cash these days is very powerful since we are in a recession (credit crisis) which could get worse. I was impressed at the poster wanting to stockpile fuel since the price of oil has moved from $147 a barrel to around $30 per barrel. One must also be aware to not p.o. a seller off by bidding an unrealistic price. Same way on the sell side. Know thy customer rule. Know they seller rule.

skyline":3k281o6l said:
BeefmasterB":3k281o6l said:

I hate buying a car or truck for that very reason. Buying a vehicle shouldn't require gamesmanship.

One of the best purchasing experiences I ever had was buying a tractor. The owner showed me his cost and told me what he wanted for a markup. I felt like it was a fair deal, we shook hands, and I bought myself a tractor. He gained my trust and I felt good about the deal. I wish every transaction could go as smooth.
You and me both Skyline. I have walked away more than one time when they started playing their silly game. Fortunately more information is available today to the consumer so we are not such victims.

Last new one I bought, I just walked off from one place. They tried to pull the wool over my eyes, and wanted to haggle and kept changing the price.
Called salesperson on the phone at another dealership and told her what I would pay. They accepted it and the deal was made.

Guess who I have told people to go deal with. Guess who I have told people not to trust.

Ryder, the rest of the tractor story is that I went back 6 years later to buy another tractor. This time I was was dealing with the salesman, not the owner. Owner was busy. I wasn't sure if I wanted a Kubota, New Holland, or John Deere, so I was taking my time and exploring options. Went to all 3 dealers. Anyway, the salesperson where I bought the last tractor was not offering a very fair deal, but I really wanted his tractor. We went back and forth several times. He finally called me and told me to come get the tractor, when he figured out I was about to buy the competitors tractor. That process was much more frustrating and left a bad taste in my mouth. If he had treated me like his boss did, we could have closed the deal a few weeks earlier and everybody would have been happy.

I buy most of my hay. I buy from the locals and I ask them what they want...I never try to beat them down. I just say yes or no.
Last year one neighbor phoned me, told me he wanted $35 a bale. I said no I can't use it at that price. Another guy close by had his hay(700 bales) listed at $25 on an internet site. I phoned and said I'll take it all, went over and paid him, got it hauled home.
This year the first guy called again and said he needed $28 a bale. I said that works for me, went over and paid him. This first guy pulled a fast one on me several years ago. We agreed on a price, I hauled it, then he put the price up. I hauled it back and never bought from him again for several years.
Bought some hay from a woman once. Paid her up front. Before I could get it hauled home she sold about 20 bales(my hay) to a horse owner for $10 more a bale and then paid me back the lesser amount. I told her you sold my hay...she said she felt I hadn't paid her enough. She phones every year but I refuse to ever buy from her again.

dun":1t2m5cql said:
BeefmasterB":1t2m5cql said:

Dun is on the money.

You call the guy who sells you trucks. You tell him what you want and insist that the truck not have an Easter Egg paint job. He tells you what he can get you in that truck for. You either pay that price or you don't.

My problem is the guy who has sold me several dropped dead from a heart attack while on a hunting trip. You have to bear in mind that I bought new trucks for each daughter too so I bought several in the last ten years. Cash talks. This dude knew I was going to buy and he wanted to be the salesman. People go in and haggle and pay way more than I do.

My daughter's father-in-law says my daughter is going to buy all his vehicles from now on.

When the wife bought her new Easter Egg looking "crossover" we paid the advertised price off of the internet. No haggling.

I have had them rip out the carpet and put in matted floors. Having carpet in a truck is like having carpet in a tractor as far as I am concerned. So I have told them that I would buy a truck provided they convert it to a truck.

Now the guy in the back trying to sell me the extended warranty is a joke. I tell him no and then he goes to half price and I tell him no and then he keeps wanting me to take it. I ask him if I need to go somewhere else to buy a truck and he shuts up and quits trying to haggle.

If I had to haggle, I would spend my nickels some place else. We all know sticker price is a joke. Just ask them what the real price is and either take it or leave it.

If I drive 20 miles down to pasture to sell some hay, I want to sell some hay. If someone expects me to sell it for a loss, I am already getting that old wet hen attitude. I could have been digging patio stone for $50 a ton wholesale instead of driving 20 miles there and now 20 miles back. I've probably lost well over $100 already just showing up. So I will lock the gate and drive off and go make some real money.

Someone who wants to haggle with me wants to take advantage of me. I'd rather deal with straight up people. That hay will sell for more than that 3 years from now during a drought. Dairymen will be calling asking for anything less than 5 years old that they can juice.

backhoeboogie":3k1nk1su said:
dun":3k1nk1su said:
BeefmasterB":3k1nk1su said:

Dun is on the money.

You call the guy who sells you trucks. You tell him what you want and insist that the truck not have an Easter Egg paint job. He tells you what he can get you in that truck for. You either pay that price or you don't.

My problem is the guy who has sold me several dropped dead from a heart attack while on a hunting trip. You have to bear in mind that I bought new trucks for each daughter too so I bought several in the last ten years. Cash talks. This dude knew I was going to buy and he wanted to be the salesman. People go in and haggle and pay way more than I do.

My daughter's father-in-law says my daughter is going to buy all his vehicles from now on.

When the wife bought her new Easter Egg looking "crossover" we paid the advertised price off of the internet. No haggling.

I have had them rip out the carpet and put in matted floors. Having carpet in a truck is like having carpet in a tractor as far as I am concerned. So I have told them that I would buy a truck provided they convert it to a truck. Now the guy in the back trying to sell me the extended warranty is a joke. I tell him no and then he goes to half price and I tell him no and then he keeps wanting me to take it. I ask him if I need to go somewhere else to buy a truck and he shuts up and quits trying to haggle.

If I had to haggle, I would spend my nickels some place else. We all know sticker price is a joke. Just ask them what the real price is and either take it or leave it.

If I drive 20 miles down to pasture to sell some hay, I want to sell some hay. If someone expects me to sell it for a loss, I am already getting that old wet hen attitude. I could have been digging patio stone for $50 a ton wholesale instead of driving 20 miles there and now 20 miles back. I've probably lost well over $100 already just showing up. So I will lock the gate and drive off and go make some real money.

Someone who wants to haggle with me wants to take advantage of me. I'd rather deal with straight up people. That hay will sell for more than that 3 years from now during a drought. Dairymen will be calling asking for anything less than 5 years old that they can juice.

From what I can tell, you DID haggle! You ask for some things as part of the deal and got them. This is part of the haggling process. But, as Herefordshire nicely pointed out, haggling over small ticket items really isn't worth the hassle. In a free-market economy there are millions of salespeople who make a commission and the amount of commisssion is based on what they can get out of you. Take the vehicle purchase, for example. You can elect to drive from dealer to dealer all day and hope that one of them gives you a first time number that you can live with OR do your homework, sit down at the first dealership and chop that price down, saving several thousand dollars and a lot of time. What could you do with the savings? Buy another cow? More feed? Repairs to the tractor etc. All for a little haggling. If you don't like all the salesperson chit-chat then at least go get a Vehicle Report on what they paid, minus dealer incentives, figure out what you think is fair for them to make, and then go offer it or you'll go elsewhere. This is still haggling but more cut-to-the chase. The point is, why pay sticker when you know you could save hundreds of dollars for a little discussion? I once needed a new refridgerator. Went to Sears, found the one I liked, asked how much it was. The rep quoted me a price. Said o.k., how much for the display model I'm looking at right now? He went and talked to the manager who sold it to me for $200 less than the one in the box and the display came with a full warrant. What could you do with an extra $200? For just asking a question?

Each to his own I guess. I like shopping with maw and paw businesses even tho I know I pay a little more. Maybe it is my ego; those folks are glad to see me. They seem like they want to help me find things too. Perhaps they really just want to get me out of the door quick.

If the trucks didn't have carpet in them, they wouldn't have to remove it. Many trucks I buy come without carpet. If it has an easter egg paint job on it, I don't ask them to repaint it. I just don't buy it no matter how cheap it is.

If I need cows, I go buy them. $200 aint going to buy much. If you have cows for sale I might pay the price you are asking too. I won't ask you to take less than what you want tho.

If you advertise, put the asking price in there. If I like the cows, I'll pay the price you want. If you don't know what you want, don't advertise them.

The objective for the seller is to make a deal.

We are discussing the "bait" to get a chance to make the deal. What will trigger the prospect to call? More specifically, what will trigger a "good" prospect (like backhoeboogie) to call. After all, these type of buyers are very valuable. They do not like to dicker and are usually repeat buyers if you treat them with respect and offer them a fair price, they will allow you to earn their business.

By not listing price, we may miss out on the types of elephants (very good customer). In this case, we might want to consider two adverstisements for the same product, maybe with two different phone numbers if you have them. For the prospects that like price displayed, one could be general such as "$30-$45 per bale", of course depending upon the quality selected. For the other prospects, one could not display price, and proceed according to previously designed dickering schemes as the closing ratio is likely to be much higher.

When the display price conscious prospect calls, they are thinking $30 per bale, which is what you want, but make them the lightest bales with the worst quality hay and you can tell them that right off the bat to maximize your time. You have to consider that you only have one shot at these types of people since you are at an extreme disadvantage. Since the quality of hay depends upon which group of bales one selects, be prepared to offer a valid explanation of the various type of hay quality. The worst hay you have in stock is around $30 per bale and the best is $45 per bale (and maybe $60 per bale if in a drought). Of course the caller always wants the best hay for $30 per bale....but let me ask you a question....how can they give the money to you through the phone? This could buy you time to get to know your prospect better. Is the buyer and old timer? Is the buyer educated? Is the buyer local? The rest is elementary.

Since you selected my premium hay that I feed my own cows, please make the check out for 100 * $40 or $4K please Mr. Backhoeboogie. Does that sound good?

I own a house that I rent for 675 per month. I made the mistake of placing an add in the shoppers guide without listing the price and I had over 50 phone calls by unqualified applicants. It took me a long time to work through all these folks. The next time I placed the house in the paper I put the monthly rental price and I had only about 5 calls but they were all capable of paying the rent and qualified. Maybe its different on cows.

denoginnizer":1c6tbc6j said:
I own a house that I rent for 675 per month. I made the mistake of placing an add in the shoppers guide without listing the price and I had over 50 phone calls by unqualified applicants. It took me a long time to work through all these folks. The next time I placed the house in the paper I put the monthly rental price and I had only about 5 calls but they were all capable of paying the rent and qualified. Maybe its different on cows.

What is your opinion of an "unqualified applicant" in the context of a home renter? Did the calls come in when the foreclosures recently peaked?

HerefordSire":2uiee7sd said:
denoginnizer":2uiee7sd said:

What is your opinion of an "unqualified applicant" in the context of a home renter? Did the calls come in when the foreclosures recently peaked?

An unqualified applicant is someone who will not furnish the information I need to make a proper background check, lied on the application, has not had a steady employment history, "rented" from Mother, (meaning paid no rent), moved here from out of town and won't give me a phone number from the last land lord, (I preferred to rent to folks from the area so I can talk to the land lord and see the neighborhood), and has any sort of pet. Been there and done that. And yes, I found that when I charged lower rents, I got a lower class of people. Not all the time, but for sure most of the time. I got burned a few times. And I don't have rental property any longer, either. I already have kids and I don't fancy raising more, and the renters I had always seemed to have an annoying child like quality about them. In other words, kill your own snakes if they bother you. Otherwise, leave them be and let them eat the rodents. Don't call me early on a weekend morning to come kill a snake in the garage.

denoginnizer":x8yaj1mx said:
What Lammie said is about what I deal with. They must of moved from Texas to bama.

I was thinking of Arkansas to Bama.

I think I know what you were dealing with now (you were probably just being nice in your reply to me). Could it have been some low income renters calling and seeking shelter for $200 per month of less? If so, this would be a case of backfiring (depends upon product you have for sale) and you would want to advertise the opposite to weed out all the culls so you maximize your time which is the way your wanted in the first place. Sounds like you learned allot. Too bad you didn't put an ad in the shopper for bushels fo purple hull peas! Let's see, 90% closing rate @ 50 calls @ $30.00 per bushel...is err..$1,350 moo moo buckaroos.

Yes, if I put an ad in the paper without a price, I would get fifty calls from people wanting to know if I was a Section 8 vender. After Katrina, there was a very small part of me that wished I had not sold yet, but I soon came to my senses.

I had a family living in one rent house that had put up an above ground pool in the yard, which I strictly prohibited in the rental contract, and they proceeded to allow their kids to put some ducks in the pool. Well, the ducks could not get out of the water and drowned. Or the kids tried to make them "fly" by throwing them in the air, which resulted in one duck breaking it's leg. I went over there when the neighbors called me. I told them to take the pool down and to prepare to be evicted because they were behind on the rent. The next day, I emptied the outbuildings of their things, (I put them in another building on the premisis) to keep them from stealing my washer and dryer, and told the man of the house that if his things were not out of the house by the next weekend, I would take them out in the yard and burn them. Yes, that was 110 pound me. And I meant it at the time. I also had a letter from my attorney stating that he had no legal rights in this situation, since he had violated the rental contract that he signed. It was ugly. He made sure that the house was trashed thoroughly before they left it. I lost several thousand dollars on it, but I got him out.

That is one of the reasons I am no longer a land lord. People, even when they pass the background check, will turn around and do absolutely amazingly stupid things. It will take away your faith in humanity.

I found that by charging a higher rent I got people that took better care of the place, particularly when they were aware that they would pay for damages on move out. I got to where we walked the house and I took pictures with them there of windows, walls, carpets, bathroom... and had them to sign a document stating that things were in reasonably good condition, making note of things that might be issues for repair.

BeefmasterB":1a63srag said:
From what I can tell, you DID haggle!

For telling them I'd buy the truck if they took the carpet out? They should never put carpet in a one ton truck in the first place. But some folks like driving around in Easter Eggs so they try to please them I guess.

A long lost "friend" from High School called me wanting patio stone. I culled the best pieces out for her and took the time to load them and segregate them out, hauling them onto a flat. When she came to get them she balked at the price. One of my good customers had asked for them when he came out for loads. I had kept telling him they were for a friend. So with her standing there, I called him on the phone and told him to come on out and I would load him up. This long lost "friend" who hadn't called me in years and years could now go to his stone yard and pay premium prices. I was offering the very best for wholesale price and I had gone out of my way and put in extra effort to segregate it out.

If you try to haggle with me about a fair deal, you may as well crawl back in your vehicle and go some place else.

If the dealer wants to bring in another truck from someplace else that doesn't have carpet, I'll wait a few days.