ACW Ironhide

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
I used Iron Hide quite a bit last fall (http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... 54&lang=EN). In the last 48 hours, we have had our first two calves born!
This cow, a Shear Force sired older cow, calved first. Her average size calf is 80 to 90 pounds. She was 283 days along, and had this little 62 pound heifer calf! Spit her out like she was a sunflower seed! This cow has NEVER thrown white, even though she had been bred to white faced bulls before.
154zqdf.jpg

2jecxv.jpg

e9jfxl.jpg

And this cow, a Pacesetter sired cow (who is sired by Shear Force), who normally has a 100 pound plus calf every year, had this little ditty last night, at 285 days gestation. We have not weighed the second calf yet, but she is SMALLER than the first!
2j4er9z.jpg

(older picture for reference point, that was her calf about 4 years ago)
2la3sle.jpg

I did use him on some heifers, due in the spring. I would venture to say he will throw little calves, considering the size of these two little girls!

Genex rep was pushing Ironhide to me last spring. Looked at him.
Other than white face, there is NOTHING about that bull that would entice me to use him, over several other Simmental sires we've used in the last few years, or currently have in the tank.
Sounds like the CED is better than his epds would suggest. Glad you're liking them.

Lucky
The proof is in the pudding for me. I saw the bull in real life, when he was up getting collected at Genex. Then, a breeder not far from here (my daughter worked for them for several months) had about 15 calves on the ground out of him. I liked just about each one of them. Since I am not a big Angus person, I had to go off of his Simmi pedigree (the Lock N Load cattle are pretty good), and seeing him and then his offspring was proof enough for me to sample him. We will watch how these calves grow, but I am not complaining yet. Wish the second calf had some white, but she seems to be well made so far.

I'll admit he looks good in his photo.
Don't care for the Boyd New Day behind him. EPDs and indices are so poor, he'd never get the nod from my boss, and they're so low, across the board, that I'd never offer him up to her for consideration.
But... I'm not breeding for the show ring.

Thought I would update this thread. We had another Iron Hide calf yesterday, and again I am super pleased. He was 84 pounds, and the second calf this cow has had. She is 34 months old, and an embryo sired by Dream On out of Ebony Antoinette. The iron hide babies seem to slide right out... They are built right. I found the calf already sucked and playing. Look at his bone and thickness!
aauano.jpg

24w5wmr.jpg

2d9y0lt.jpg

This is the heifer calf born in September, she is around 80 days old:
2rooygz.jpg

And the bull we sold on the cow at our state breed sale. He was a tank!
35i20c4.jpg

He will be used more around here. His calves are well made, consistent, and have great docility. They all walk right up to you.

Nice calves, I really like the heifer. She appears to be very clean fronted. We get a few every year with that shaggy hair on the belly, like she has.

We bought an Ironhide son to use for cleanup on our AI cows. He's very vocal, but we have no problem with his disposition. He'll be turned out in a couple weeks.

Latest posts