actual birth weight ratio

Help Support CattleToday:

Rancher Roger

Reaction score
Can someone explain the difference between Act. bw actual birth weight ratio and BWR birth weight ratio? I understand act.bw is the average of the dams calves actual birth weights. I understand the BWR to have something to do with averages against a herd or breed. I guess my real question would be When looking for calving ease is a higher bwr # better or worse? and what exactly would a BWR of 104 mean? Thanks

Rancher Roger":1jbxictp said:
Can someone explain the difference between Act. bw actual birth weight ratio and BWR birth weight ratio? I understand act.bw is the average of the dams calves actual birth weights. I understand the BWR to have something to do with averages against a herd or breed. I guess my real question would be When looking for calving ease is a higher bwr # better or worse? and what exactly would a BWR of 104 mean? Thanks

Ratios are based on contemporary groups. Average within the group would be a 100 ratio. 104 would be 4% higher than average. Generally, a lower ratio = smaller. You'll probably want to look at a below 100 BW ratio, but at a 100+ ration for growth (WW and YW) ratios. This from the Angus Assn may help; I'll put the link below:

Contemporary groups, ratios and EPDs
Contemporary grouping allows animals to be evaluated on how well they performed compared with their herdmates raised under similar environmental conditions. This grouping accounts for environmental or unequal treatment effects, so that heritable differences, such as EPDs, can be predicted.

Two or more animals of the same sex are necessary in the contemporary group for the EPD to be calculated, assuming other data edits are met. Each animal is compared relative to the average performance of the contemporaries in the defined group. You cannot have EPDs beyond a pedigree index interim EPD without contemporary groups. A contemporary group of one animal does not provide any information to compute EPDs from the Association's NCE.

Example: There are 10 bull calves weaned at your farm or ranch (treated alike, same sex, fed/managed the same). The bulls form one weaning contemporary group. Then, you send two calves to the bull test station and feed out the remaining eight at home. Their yearling and ultrasound records will be processed as two separate contemporary groups, not as one. If you send one bull to a test station, this creates a contemporary group of one for the yearling and ultrasound data. Association ratios for these traits will be 100, and the animal's own yearling and ultrasound performance will not be used in evaluation procedures for EPDs.

A ratio is the performance on an individual animal relative to the average performance for his or her contemporaries. Contemporary groups should include as many animals as can be accurately compared.

Continuing our example, say the 10 bull calves at weaning weighed an average of 600 pounds (lb.). One calf weighed 630 lb., so he is 5% above the average of his contemporaries. His ratio is 105.

Ratio = (630 ÷ 600) x 100 = 105

Another calf weighed 570 lb., which is 5% below the contemporary group average of 600 lb. His ratio is 95.

Ratio = (570 ÷ 600) x 100 = 95

In the calculation of EPDs, the animal's own record (a weight or measure) is used relative to the contemporary group's average performance. It is sometimes a misunderstanding that the numerical ratio (like the ratio computed above) is used in the computations. Ratios can be a within-group tool; however, the use of more advanced selection tools, like EPDs, provides comparisons among all animals in the breed with greater accuracy.

http://www.angus.org/performance/docume ... y_grp.html

Actual Birth Wt Ratios are just a percentage of the individuals weight compared to the average.

BWR = Birth Weight Ratio so I would say there is nothing different between the 2; they are the same.

lower BWR is indicative of more calving ease on average.