Actual Birth, weaning and Yearling weights.

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
Does anyone have the actual birth, weaning, and yearling weights on the following bulls? I have pretty much made up my mind to use Magnum on a couple and Top secret on a couple this year. I'll save my 517 semen for a later date. I think Top Secret will be fine for heifers, and I'm hoping Magum will as well.

Feltons 517
Feltons Magnum 434
KT Top Secret 1030

TIA,

The actual numbers don't mean much, that's why they have EPDs. Yearling weight and weaning weigh are almost completely useless unless you know whether creep was available and how long, the cows milk numbers and her age and condition etc, etc......

With the way 517 is selling, I'd use him for embryo work only. Too risking to lose that much on a missed AI attempt.

I'll have to get someone to explain the whole ET process to me someday. I can't think of anyone around here that I know of who does that. From what I've read, it is expensive.

El_Putzo":2qaadx9f said:
I'll have to get someone to explain the whole ET process to me someday. I can't think of anyone around here that I know of who does that. From what I've read, it is expensive.

So is 517 semen!

Putzo,

I "might" be able to give you an idea of 517 and 434 that would be close(based on their adjusted weights), but I will have to do some research first. I printed a lot of the Dam Summaries from the Feltons herd when people were granted access to the information prior to the dispersal sale. I can't guarantee anything, but I will take a look and see if I have it.

El_Putzo":16pesbys said:
Does anyone have the actual birth, weaning, and yearling weights on the following bulls?

Feltons 517
Feltons Magnum 434

Well, I didn't have it in the file, but I can tell you how they stood in their contemporary groups.

517: BW 81% WW 113% YW 106% Frame 6.6 (no yearling scrotal)

434: BW 98% WW 110% YW 111% Frame 5.3 Scrotal 37cm

You can contact La Grand Herefords since they have the Moma of 434 (Feltons E70) and they could tell you his adjusted weights by looking at the Dam Summary.

Feltons Hereford Ranch still shows to own 517's moma (she is dead now). You could probably get them to tell you the actual weights on each if you ask nice!.. :D

1848":3k835epn said:
El_Putzo":3k835epn said:
Does anyone have the actual birth, weaning, and yearling weights on the following bulls?

Feltons 517
Feltons Magnum 434

Well, I didn't have it in the file, but I can tell you how they stood in their contemporary groups.

517: BW 81% WW 113% YW 106% Frame 6.6 (no yearling scrotal)

434: BW 98% WW 110% YW 111% Frame 5.3 Scrotal 37cm

You can contact La Grand Herefords since they have the Moma of 434 (Feltons E70) and they could tell you his adjusted weights by looking at the Dam Summary.

Feltons Hereford Ranch still shows to own 517's moma (she is dead now). You could probably get them to tell you the actual weights on each if you ask nice!.. :D

Thanks for the info 1848. I tried contacting the Feltons already and they haven't responded. I didn't realize that 517 was that large of a framed bull. It's hard to tell from pictures, but he looks small.

Now, as far as ET, what does it cost to do this? Like I said, I have absolutely no knowledge of ET. The semen for 517 on the other hand was $75 a straw which didn't seem too bad to me considering the price of some other good bulls of his time, like Keynote 20x and such.

I will take my questions about ET to the "Beginners" board if any of you would care to give me any and all info you have. I wouldn't want to upset any of the veterans by posting a newbie type question on this section of the board. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Now, as far as ET, what does it cost to do this? Like I said, I have absolutely no knowledge of ET. The semen for 517 on the other hand was $75 a straw which didn't seem too bad to me considering the price of some other good bulls of his time, like Keynote 20x and such

I will take my questions about ET to the "Beginners" board if any of you would care to give me any and all info you have. I wouldn't want to upset any of the veterans by posting a newbie type question on this section of the board. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Here's a link to Reproduction Enterprises, Inc (REI) of Stillwater, OK. ET prices in your area might vary, but probably not by much. Good luck….

http://www.agonline.com/rei/home.asp

El_Putzo":1quilct5 said:
I didn't realize that 517 was that large of a framed bull. It's hard to tell from pictures, but he looks small.

Now, as far as ET, what does it cost to do this? Like I said, I have absolutely no knowledge of ET. The semen for 517 on the other hand was $75 a straw which didn't seem too bad to me considering the price of some other good bulls of his time, like Keynote 20x and such.

Putzo,

Remember the frame score would have been taken at yearling. It "should" reflect what his mature size would be. I would not have thought him to be that large of a frame either.

The basic charge will start around $250 or more (depending on who you use), but that is just the proceedure and some shots. That dosn't count your semen cost, or if you get salvagable eggs in the flush. Be prepared to pay upwards of $1,000 or more.

P.S. Good price for the semen.