Acreage Per Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

FutureFarmer

Reaction score
I am sure this has been asked before, but i could not find it searching on the search thing. I am just wanting to know what is the average acreage per cow.....
I live in Florida.... just incase you are wondering...

I was thinking 1 cow for every 3-4 acres?
Also, i am just learning!

Thanks, Devon

From what I've learned that would be nice but 1.5 -2.0 per cow is probably fine for your area.

Have you seen heard the saying about good cattlemen being great grass farmers first? Well, good pastures will save you lots of money. How many animals you graze really depends on many factors:

-Condition of soil
-Condition of pasture
-Whether or not you fertilize
-How often you mow the pasture
-Constant grazing versus rotational grazing, (we rotate because it helps rest the pastures and cuts down on worm reinfestation when you drag and mow between rotations)
-Weed control
-Type of grasses or mix of grasses and when they grow best/die off, (coastal, bahia, winter rye).
-Regional differences. We're in FL too, but it varies greatly depending on where you are: either low and close to water or higher and drier in the pines.

Start with your extension agent and a soil test. Then, plan out your pasture management. Once you have a sound pasture management plan in operation, then, you can calculate how many cattle you can run on your pastures.

Good luck!

FutureFarmer":1hh5987r said:
I am sure this has been asked before, but i could not find it searching on the search thing. I am just wanting to know what is the average acreage per cow.....
I live in Florida.... just incase you are wondering...

I was thinking 1 cow for every 3-4 acres?
Also, i am just learning!

Thanks, Devon

Stocking rates vary greatly from state to state and area to area. There is also the factor of experience with properly managing the land. I would talk to my county extension agent.

I agree with Littlecow. It has nothing to do with acres. It is only the amount of grass you have available. That will vary throughout the year. Google up pasture management.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful replys! I will talk to my county extension agent.... :)!

And i will look up Pasture management.

Thanks Again Everyone!

:cboy: Devon

We run 1 per 2 ac. in the winter and may go to 1 per ac. in the summer depending on if we have a drought. It also depends on the size of cows you are running. Ours are small frame Angus.

Latest posts