acorn poisoning

Help Support CattleToday:

Pointer1160

Reaction score
Have two cases of probable acorn poisoning. One cow died and the other has been sick for two and a half weeks. She has not eaten in four days but is drinking. Yes, the cows have ben removed from the white oaks and the vet has made a visit. He also thinks acorn poisoning. He thinks she has a chance to make it. However, she is still going down hill. If I could get her to eat she might make it. I really feel she has a sore mouth which possibly is a symptom of the disease. I have tried to get her to try all sorts of feed including sweet feed. Any help from you experienced guys will be appreciated. He gave antibiotics, anti-inflammatory meds, something to coat her stomach and some B vitamin. I have also repeated this treatment. :(

Probably just going to have to wait for it to work it's way through now. I know they use Vit. K for some poisons, but I believe it's for rat poisons.
Get a bottle of Dyne to give to her for a energy supplement till she gets back to eating.

Your biggest challenge will be is making her drink. If she's not eating and she's drinking a little less every day, its not looking good. Do not let her drink less, if you have to tube water in her with electrolytes do it. Move her around so she doesnt get sores if she is down. Sometimes hoisting them up to stand can be counter productive, but if she doesnt fight you and will work with you to stand, standing her would be good. If she is still up, do you see her lay down and get back up? Or is she just not laying down?

Good luck with the cow. I think if they do poison themselves with acorns the kidneys go. If she's still alive after seven days I doubt it's going to kill her. However. she may not be very thrifty afterwards. Any I've lost to acorns, once she's down with it, I've not had any success.

fitz

Pointer1160":3nbtbvlr said:
Can't hurt. What dose and how often for 500 lb.?
For vit. K, no idea.
For dyne I do 60cc, about 2 ounces, twice a day, but only after their warmed up to it. Start off with 30cc once a day just to make sure she doesn't get over loaded from it, then about day three make it 60 once a day. Just think of it as if your getting them warmed up on corn.

So how much do they have to eat to get sick?

Was about to move some cattle to another pasture and the wife just called and said that there are acorns all on the ground.

Most are like marble size.

Don't know that I've ever seen a specific amount defined, as in...X pounds will kill a cow.

In my experience, the acorns of the white oak group seem to be a bigger problem than those of the red oak group - but that may primarily be due to the fact that they're less bitter, more palatable, and will be eaten more readily. Plus...the white oaks tend to drop their acorns all at once, whereas the red/black oak group spreads acorn drop out over a longer period of time.

Goats and deer have proline-rich salivary proteins which bind/deactivate the tannins in acorns, allowing them to eat them without any issues. Cattle and sheep...not so much.

Most years if there is ample grass the acorns are not a big problem. Especially if they are in area as they begin to drop and cattle start into them slowly. Fencing them out is not an option so I monitor mine pretty close that time of year. In years of poor forage I've had the odd one to slip off from the herd and O.D. on them.

fitz

I've seen cattle abandon good quality grass to camp out under the trees, eating acorns.
Have seen 'em 'down' and nearing death's doorstep from eating too many; treated with oral & IV fluids, rumenatorics, laxatives, etc. - and they'll get up and go right back to eating acorns, if allowed to.

fitz":30j1lmpn said:
Most years if there is ample grass the acorns are not a big problem. Especially if they are in area as they begin to drop and cattle start into them slowly. Fencing them out is not an option so I monitor mine pretty close that time of year. In years of poor forage I've had the odd one to slip off from the herd and O.D. on them.

fitz

X2. The only time we have had problems with acorns is when grass is low when they start dropping.