Acorn poisoning

Help Support CattleToday:

Rniemann

Reaction score
How big of a concern is this? Does it take a lot to hurt them or worse, kill? Just general thoughts and info.

Some years, acorns are a BIG problem.
In heavy mast years, cattle with access to heavily-producing oaks - and, in my experience, it's more of an issue with members of the white oak group(white oak, bur oak, etc.) than the red/black oak group, though both can be a problem - will overconsume acorns. Gallotannins and other compounds in the acorns will damage renal tubules, with cattle succumbing to renal failure.
Deer & goats have proline-rich salivary proteins that bind the tannins, so they can eat them with no problem, but cattle lack those, and can't handle large amounts of acorns.

I've seen cattle in bad shape - you can pump 'em up with IV & oral fluids, laxatives, mineral oil, etc. - and they'll go right back to the oaks and start eating acorns again; it's like they have a death-wish and an unnatural craving for them.

Had a cow through the necropsy lab last week with a rumen full of buckeyes; producer had lost 3-4 cows over the preceding week - no way of knowing if that's what killed the others or not, but it's possible.

I only remember losing one to acorns. Usually it's one that has a taste for them and will over indulge. If they are in an area with acorns usually they'll acclimate to the acorns as they drop. Most times if my cows have ample grass there is not a big problem. They'll mix the acorns into their diet.
The acorns have a tannic acid which is the main problem. This will mess the kidneys up and that is more times than not the cause of death. I've also had folks say the shell of the nut will cut the walls of the rumen. I'm not too sure about that part. Just something the old boys claim.
My biggest concern is my fall calving cows passing the acids to the nursing calf. With a heavy milking cow this can cause ulcerations throughout the calf's digestive system.

fitz

Have not had a case of acorn poisoning through the diagnostic lab yet this year - but most practitioners, and many producers - recognize the situation for what it is, without the need to send an animal in for necropsy.
Did field a call from a veterinary practitioner, earlier this week, who'd seen a cow he suspected had acorn poisoning. Blood work showed blood urea nitrogen(BUN) of 125(normal range 6-27) and creatinine of 9 (normal range 0.45-1.8) - suggesting that her kidneys were not functioning; in light of the time of year, and heavy acorn crop on that farm, there's not much doubt as to the likelihood that she's been overconsuming acorns.

Just to let everyone know if they eat enough oak leaves it will kill them also.
We had 12 heafers in dry lot on feed and hay in may 2013-100 year old oak fell.
We had no ideal oak leaves would hurt them.
We lost 6 out of the 12 the 6 that leave lost alot of weight.
The vet said the leaves were nice and tender.
Too many leaves is the same as acorns.
They went off feed and losing weight had vet to do bloodwork.
Hard lesson to learn.