Accuracy of local Market Report

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes that all makes perfect sense. Why list the extreme highs and lows when they do not represent the majority. However it really did appear that the majority was at the lower end of the scale than what they had published. But again, listing the higher numbers is what will bring in the sellers. And like you said Lauralee, the order buyers already know the prices.
Thank you all. Very educational. :D

Boy if you were here on the east coast a few of us could really give you an education. The buyers are not the ones to teach, its the traders. Those darn crooks. :roll:

kenny thomas":1vv20mz7 said:
Boy if you were here on the east coast a few of us could really give you an education. The buyers are not the ones to teach, its the traders. Those darn crooks. :roll:
:lol: I would love to pal around with you guys at the sale barn. :D

matkinfarms":33b7i7n6 said:
I took a chance on 8 cows that went from .50 cents to 1.25 a pound. Some had slight limps. 2 of my 8 died so I got a tax write off. The other 7 are doing really good and gained a lot of weight. These were Herefords, baldies, and a few crosses. Had one red angus that is nice. Stopped limping after 3 days. Going on having her for 5 months and haven't limped since. Small gamble that paid off.

I bought a bottle calf with contracted tendons for next to nothing. Had her fixed within a few weeks. Then grafted her to a nurse cow. Sometimes people just don't have the time.

branguscowgirl":3cebb8gq said:
I did notice that the "regulars" seem to have a sort of private order going. Taking turns at buying.

It was probably not a great day to sell singles with all the big groups that went through. There were at least 3 different ranches selling pens of calves, heifers, and steer groups. Sometimes they barely fit in the ring and did not fit on the scales. They were spending $160,000 a pop!
BCG...use to know an auctioneer over in NE Texas by the name of Joe Don Pogue...he's still over there and owns a sale barn. Haven't seen him or talked to him in a long time but he once told me that when he is really on top of his game (auctioneers do have bad days) he can almost tell you exactly who will end up buying a calf or cow the minute it walks in the ring with the exception that occasionally an old boy like me that doesn't have a clue what he's doing might jump in and buy one for a lot more than it's worth.

Brangusgirl, most of the time when something is really cheap - there is a reason.[/quote]
Very wise advice

This may be far fetched, but some claim that a yard might have a special relationship with a couple of buyers. Those two buyers, run a pen of calves a little high. The yard pays the difference in market price, and what the calves actually sold for. Then that paticular yard gets a favorably high market report for the week. Sellers see the report of being 8 or 9 dollars higher, and start selling there. I doubt that happens myself.