Accidentally gave cow wrong vaccine

Help Support CattleToday:

Newguy64

Reaction score
Worked cows and calves this weekend and was using virashield on cows and a mlv for calves, think we had a screw up and possibly could have gave mlv to pregnant cows that not sure if vaccine history. My question is i know that was a big no-no and we prolly aborted their calves but I was wondering if anyone has ever done this before and how long before they aborted?

I am not familiar with your vaccines but I would think that the result would depend on the cows immunity either through natural immunity or previous vaccination. Their immunity would attack the live vaccine just as it would any natural challenge.

Ken

Newguy take a deep breath and post the MLV product (assuming viral) you may have inadvertently used on your bred cows with unknown vac history. Sheet happens and its not necessarily the end of the world. ;-)

I am not familiar with products there, but I would...

a) Read the documentation thoroughly, and if satisfied no harm likely, then relax..
if not satisfied
b) Call up my vet and tell them what you think may have been done.

Most vacs used commonly with sheep and cattle here for the common things are no harm to get extra, as far as I know extra in the single dose, or if they are given shots when a prior owner may have just done months earlier, it is just a waste of money/product, but, check with your specific product.

What I am saying, is I would ask vet anyway and get opinion of running them all through again and making sure each gets right shot/s.

If you check the package insert that comes with the vaccine, there will be a phone number to call. In my experience they're helpful. It's their job to know the answers to all of the questions you asked.

At a branding here a week or so ago someone got the wrong bottle and used it up. 50 calves got a blast of Draxxin instead of Bova Sheild. It won't hurt the calves but it sure hurt the brothers pocket book. $600 worth of Draxxin instead of the ? $100 worth of Bova Sheild. And the calves didn't get the vaccine...... kind of difficult to go back through 200 calves and decide which ones got which shots.

Dave said:
At a branding here a week or so ago someone got the wrong bottle and used it up. 50 calves got a blast of Draxxin instead of Bova Sheild. It won't hurt the calves but it sure hurt the brothers pocket book. $600 worth of Draxxin instead of the ? $100 worth of Bova Sheild. And the calves didn't get the vaccine...... kind of difficult to go back through 200 calves and decide which ones got which shots.

:shock:

Those bottles don't even look alike. Yikes.

Buck Randall said:
Dave said:

:shock:

Those bottles don't even look alike. Yikes.
Thankfully I didn't go to that branding. But knowing the two parties involved...... Mouthy arrogant brother (21 yo) and sister (17 yo) who catches his wrath all the time. Was it an accident or accidentally on purpose?

Sorry guys haven't had a chance to get back on here. I ended up calling the zoetis number and they were very helpful. The person I talked to said that since time had passed and unsure which ones best likely option was to wait and see if everyone calves. Had a few good things on my side being that she is older cow further along in pregnancy and that she might have seen vaccines before.

Also they said abortions would take at least a month to happen if they were going to happen. At this point the first rush of panic is done and now I'm good with just calling it it'll be what it'll be. Thanks everyone that commented and helped me out

I think it will work out ok, cattle do not seem to be finicky sensitive animals....anyways it cannot be undone.

I would do the common vac when practical.

Glad you made the call to Zoetis and that you reported back. Some of the viral MLV vaccines are "hotter" than others. I have it on good authority the Zoetis BovaShield products fall into that category. Whatever transpires should be taken as a learning experience and reminder that regardless of your familiarity with a product, always review the package insert/product info prior to use.

greggy said:
I think it will work out ok, cattle do not seem to be finicky sensitive animals....anyways it cannot be undone.

I would do the common vac when practical.
I think so, cattle don't so sensitive animals
I hope everything is good