Abscess??

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
Mom phoned me tonight telling me about a steer that has a lump on the side of his cheek, about the size of an orange, though I'm sure that it was larger before she found him. She told me that when she walked him in to the hospital pen the lump was leaking, and some of it had gotten on her glove and the fluid (dunno if it was clear or pus-like) smelled pretty bad.

But the animals' showing no signs of pain or high temp or any other symptoms to be worried about, he's eating well, and looks happy, just that he has this swelling on his cheek.

Last time she checked he had a scab on it, probably 'cause he rubbed/scratched it on something and either it burst or just started leaking more and bleeding a little (wild guess here).

So when Dad came home he gave the animal a good-size dose of penicillin (Mom wasn't sure what, but her guess was LA), and the lump's been starting to go down.

So my question is/are: IS this an abscess, like does it sound like one? Or is it just a result from an infection from the steer possibly being impaled from something? And if it's NOT from injury, then what would cause this?

I'm pretty sure a dose of penicillin or just leaving it heal itself will be okay, but it's kinda got me a little worried.

I'll keep yall posted...thanks..

Could it be lump jaw? I haven't seen this in an animal but have heard of it. I think this usually happens inside the mouth more than outside. You talk like this might be an external injury? Just an idea. I'm sure someone with more experience might be able to make a better suggestion.

JonB":22hnzuvn said:
Could it be lump jaw? I haven't seen this in an animal but have heard of it. I think this usually happens inside the mouth more than outside. You talk like this might be an external injury? Just an idea. I'm sure someone with more experience might be able to make a better suggestion.

Y'know, my first thoughts where lump jaw also. But that's what I ain't sure about. :help:

If it is just one lump, it is probably just an abcess. Nothing to get too worried about. Just lance it, flush it with iodine, and give him a shot of antibiotic (which you have already done). With lump jaw there should be more than one lump. Some will be smaller than others. You don't usually see this in a young animal, but I suppose it could happen.

Okay, thanks

Update: Steer's been doing fine, still happy and eating, and the lump is still there, leaking a bit of fluid. I'm gonna get Dad to lance it, which, as yall say, would help it go away faster.

It could be from a snake bite. We had a cow that got bit last week and her jaw was swollen with an abcess from it. It has since gone down. Snakes have really been starting to move here.

Angus In Texas":24wxcdw5 said:
It could be from a snake bite. We had a cow that got bit last week and her jaw was swollen with an abcess from it. It has since gone down. Snakes have really been starting to move here.

While it can happen, it is very unusual for this to be the case in her part of the world. Venemous snake are very few and far between there.

I would bet it is simply an abcess. Or something has been jabbed up inside and it is infected.

Either way, lance this to open it - from the bottom side to allow it to drain.

Give him a shot of an antibiotic and turn him loose - likely all will heal in about 5-9 days.

Bez>

Angus In Texas":2fpptkse said:
Sorry didn't see she was from so far north.

Nothing to be sorry about...we had a calf that got into some yellow jackets. Talk about a mess. Lots of different things can cause something to abcess in any part of the world.

Does a snake bite have to be poisonous to cause infection and abcess? I truly don't know...

Alice

I don't know if it has to be poisinous or not.... We have seen quite a few chicken snakes around lately so it was most likely that. The abcess went down quickly so I am asuming it wasn't poisinous.

Make your opening down on the bottom and it will drain better and not hold the fluid. Take your finger and make sure the hole is then open well so it will drain. You can take hydrogen peroxide and squirt in there with a syringe also.

Thanks for the tips, I'll let Dad know ASAP.

This steer is 'overly" friendly outside of the squeeze, he'll come up to ya to see what's going on, but Mom told me that once you put him in, he's a totally different character. :roll: Might have to chain/halter/hold his head so the abcess CAN be lanced without further damage to the rest of the animal... :x hate to do that BUT...

No, no snakes, still too cold up here for them...btw, I've NEVER seen a snake up in these parts EVER... :shock:

Latest posts