ABS won the race to our mailbox

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I was wondering after the Schaff sale which AI stud would get the Charlo X 4136 mating into the market. The spring 2017 Focus on Angus from ABS arrived and Rainmaster is in it! Pretty amazing 1 month 4 days. He looks good but they looked pretty dang good in the Schaff catalog as well.

Gizmom

Just out of couriousity what Frame score do they advertise the new wonder bull to be?

I guess if I was marketing blue sky I wouldn't want anyone to know the truth either. One does have to wonder why yearling heights weren't turned in on here the highest valued flush in the history of the Angus breed. I think I will hold off on my semen order. Chances are not that good that there will be any available this spring season any way.

SIMMGAL

I agree a really nice set of bulls. I will probably sample one of them next year. I will sample a young bull to prove him in our herd but won't go crazy with one until I have seen a few calves. But I have used Charlo and like the calves I have out of him. We now have bred heifers so by next breeding season will have some data on wet daughters. The dam of the flush has proven herself, I have a whole bunch of her granddaughters in production so genetically these bulls should ring the right bells. Some have been concerned with frame score, so that is one of the things to watch. I haven't had any issues with frame score with the Charlo calves but only have a small sample and all were out of cows that were 5.5 to 6 frame. The one I really want to see some semen marketed out of is the SAV Blackcap May 4136 X Sinclair Emulation XXP, that is some I will buy without seeing a calf for sure.

gizmom

gizmom":28688rg3 said:
SIMMGAL

I agree a really nice set of bulls. I will probably sample one of them next year. I will sample a young bull to prove him in our herd but won't go crazy with one until I have seen a few calves. But I have used Charlo and like the calves I have out of him. We now have bred heifers so by next breeding season will have some data on wet daughters. The dam of the flush has proven herself, I have a whole bunch of her granddaughters in production so genetically these bulls should ring the right bells. Some have been concerned with frame score, so that is one of the things to watch. I haven't had any issues with frame score with the Charlo calves but only have a small sample and all were out of cows that were 5.5 to 6 frame. The one I really want to see some semen marketed out of is the SAV Blackcap May 4136 X Sinclair Emulation XXP, that is some I will buy without seeing a calf for sure.

gizmom

So you're liking your Charlo calves? How are they looking substance and depth wise?

The Charlo calves are deep and wide with plenty of bone. We don't have any wet ones yet but will by the first of October. So far so good, my favorite heifer calf this year is a Charlo out of a New Day daughter. The dam is a Pathfinder cow out of New Day 8005 and tracing back to our foundation Evergreen cow.

I think this is the Charlo heifer photo taken about 6 weeks ago.

Gizmom

The Rainmaker pedigree is known to be poor semen freezers. Seems like they have to have some age. These fatties have almost zero chance of freezing for the spring breeding season. The Charlo progeny I have seen suffered on post weaning gain amongst some really average Angus. They would best be suited for a very harsh environment where a Charolais bull walks the pasture.

W.B.
I had not heard that about the Rainmaker pedigree, when you say post weaning gain are you talking feedlot performance or frame size. I don't have an issue with a calf growing like gang busters up to weaning then leveling off, but I don't want big framed cattle either. I do want our steer calves to work in the feedlot.

Edited to say based on your post you really don't like anything about the Charlo bulls but one of the bulls in the thread is a Renown so is it just the Charlo you don't like or both? What Angus bulls do you like and why?

gizmom

I am not a fan of sub 5 frame cattle because they finish too small in the feedlot. As far as the new super flush is concerned I don't think the Angus breed needs to have 25 percent of its pedigrees trace to one cow as great as she may be. The three 707 grandsons have been used extensively in all parts of the US. I am not sure how Renown got thrown in the discussion other than the fact he is a maternal brother.

GM,
You know I am not a fan of sub 5 frame cattle, but I am willing to bet the heifer you pictured wont be sub 5 frame at a year of age.
Nice heifer .. BTW..

That being said I have some reservations like WB about using especially stacking generations of bulls like Charlo. Also my personal opinion I think SAV is the best cared for and managed Angus herd in the USA. That being said we cant keep up management wise with them and I dont know if our management style would work with their genetics. Maybe one day we will pull the trigger.

Jscunn

You have known me for a long time so you know if they weren't working for us I wouldn't still be using them. The boss and I walked through the mature cows and calves yesterday afternoon, every calf that grabbed his eye was a Resource, Recharge or Charlo. You know he isn't all that easy to impress but he was impressed. In all honesty the boss is the guy I work to impress, he is my harshest critic and sure isn't shy about telling me if I screwed up on a mateing. We have some Matrix calves that are super nice they just don't have the mass shown in the others mentioned. I sure don't regret using Matrix they work just a different look. Your right the heifer pictured will probably be a mid 5 frame cow, I do watch frame when making breeding selections. How is your finger are you type I get one handed?

Gizmom

No smarty pants typing with 9 fingers.. The "e,d, and c" keys are hard to find.. :)

Yes they are working for you that is for sure. The "boss" is a pretty smart fellow. I would listen to him. I hope to see you guys next weekend at the spring livestock show.

Jscunn, you stated it better than I did about stacking generations of sub 5 frame cattle. The yearling height epd on Charlo indicates sub 5 frame progeny. Granted their will be individual progeny that will be bigger than that.

Thanks WB, I think I am guilty of going too far the other way at times. Moderation is the key, now if we could only agree what moderate is.. :)

Latest posts