ABS Sires vs. Select Sire Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

The both have good quality bulls, almost something for everyone, and are both CSS certified. Service over the years has been about the same for both, as has GENEX.

dun

I'd look at Accelerated Genetics, Semex, Genex, and Select sires before ABS. I'm not impressed by most of the ABS bulls because of very few being solid ALL the way across the charts and being proven.

Jake":1wgt3g68 said:
I'd look at Accelerated Genetics, Semex, Genex, and Select sires before ABS. I'm not impressed by most of the ABS bulls because of very few being solid ALL the way across the charts and being proven.

Check out Bovine Elite. They have more bulls than most studs at the same prices.

http://www.bovine-elite.com/home.asp

The reason Bovine Elite has so many bulls is because at least some of the semen they sell is bought from other studs.
One thing that I also think needs to be kept in mind when looking at the selctions from any given stud is the breed that is being looked at. We only look for Red Angus, Polled Hereford, red or traditional Simmenthal and occasionally red Gelbvieh. The criteria that is desired enters into the picture in each breed. For our criteria, ABS and Genex both have a couple of Red Angus bulls that are acceptable, Select Sires and Accelerated don;t. Select Sires has a Simmenthal that is acceptable, none of the others do, GENEX has Polled Herefords, ABS has one, Selelct Sires has one but none of the others do.
What;s needs to be done is look at aall of the studs and suppliers and find what fits your needs. Then the availability/shipping charges enter into the picture. The price per unit is a totally individual choice. We may pay 30 bucks for a special circumstance bull, but generally from 16-20 fits our needs.

dun

Dun is correct (as usual). Looking for Simm, Genex & ABS has the best offering by "owner" studs.
Cattle Vision & SEK Genetic Horizons (and other "broker" studs) have more bulls to offer because they don't have money invested IN THE ACTUAL BULL. They sell on consignment mostly.
Genex & ABS (in our area) will deliver free. That's a big factor. But, I never limit myself to ONE place.
Of course, I have the luxury of group purchasing semen each spring (NY Simm Assn), so I get semen from all the studs at a discount - shipping usually runs about $0.10/straw.

Latest posts