ABS Red Angus Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

delta 88

Reaction score
I recently bought my first Red Angus Heifer and am trying to decide which of the ABS Red Angus Bulls to breed her to. She has a little bit of Rambo, Leachman Prilark and BUF CRK CHF 824-1658 in the pedigree but I don't recognize many of the other names in there. Her EPD's are middle of the road, not great but not bad. I think she is going to make an easy keeping, moderate, correct type of female.

What would your recommendations be for one of the ABS bulls to use?

I have a really good friend that is an ABS rep and I would like to work through him. My ultimate goal is to focus on the maternal traits so I can sell replacement heifers, either full blood or a crossbreeding program down the road.

The only ABS bull we use anymore is Above and Beyond. Great heifer bull and his daughters from what I've been told by a couple of people around here make excellent cows. If your friend can get his hands on Basin Hobo 79E he would be my first choice, not only on heifers. He fixes udders unbelievably well.

I'd look at their Outer Limit bull he is out of Above and Beyond and brings a lot more growth and just as much maternal as his father. Plus he is sure good enuf on his calving ease numbers. Not as radical as the old bull but good enuf.(also not as much accuracy) however I would give up a little in accuracy for the possibility of getting a heifer calf that could perform better in the cowherd as a replacement. You want to be careful giving up that much growth for calving ease even on a heifer.

3waycross":3ooy3fhd said:
I'd look at their Outer Limit bull he is out of Above and Beyond and brings a lot more growth and just as much maternal as his father. Plus he is sure good enuf on his calving ease numbers. Not as radical as the old bull but good enuf.(also not as much accuracy) however I would give up a little in accuracy for the possibility of getting a heifer calf that could perform better in the cowherd as a replacement. You want to be careful giving up that much growth for calving ease even on a heifer.
That was my concern about A&B but we've never had a heifer from him. A local gent has pretty much based his cow herd on his daughters and is really pleased with the daughters and their calves. I may have to wander over there one of these days and get a feel for his cow size and the weaning weights of their calves. One of the things he really likes about his calves is how easy they calve, but I don;t know what bulls he breeds them to.
His bull calves for us weren;t that light at weaning but they were smaller framed then the other calves.

delta 88":39v811uv said:
I recently bought my first Red Angus Heifer and am trying to decide which of the ABS Red Angus Bulls to breed her to. She has a little bit of Rambo, Leachman Prilark and BUF CRK CHF 824-1658 in the pedigree but I don't recognize many of the other names in there. Her EPD's are middle of the road, not great but not bad. I think she is going to make an easy keeping, moderate, correct type of female.

I have a really good friend that is an ABS rep and I would like to work through him. My ultimate goal is to focus on the maternal traits so I can sell replacement heifers, either full blood or a crossbreeding program down the road.

whatever you do, dont use anything because it has "great" EPDs.

Aero":299ipafm said:
delta 88":299ipafm said:

whatever you do, dont use anything because it has "great" EPDs.

explanation please.

My guess is he means don't forget to look a the bull. Great EPDs are "Expected" not guaranteed. A bull can have great EPDs, but if he isn't structurally / phenotypically correct, he should be hamburger. EPDs are just a part of the picture.

Above and Beyond will have more growth than you think. We only have one, but she seemed to also grow longer, making her one of our bigger cows. Beckton Nebula will be similar with BW and quit growing sooner and possibly be more stout. LCC Gravity is actually a bull I like for capacity and muscle. They won't have a lot of frame. I'm not sure if he is a complete calving ease bull, but I like them. The old Hobo 1961 bull could help too. He is very proven.

BA":31jdi6kc said:
Above and Beyond will have more growth than you think. We only have one, but she seemed to also grow longer, making her one of our bigger cows. Beckton Nebula will be similar with BW and quit growing sooner and possibly be more stout. LCC Gravity is actually a bull I like for capacity and muscle. They won't have a lot of frame. I'm not sure if he is a complete calving ease bull, but I like them. The old Hobo 1961 bull could help too. He is very proven.

and he knows what he is talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!