ABS Global's Hereford line-up

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
I just looked through the herefords on the ABS website, what a sorry looking bunch! There is only one polled bull I like the looks of and that is Progression, but his dam must be the ugliest looking, most off type cow I've seen in a long time.

The horned bulls are only slightly better, most are just too big for my liking. For me the stand out bull there is Domino 3027 and really the only ABS bull I would consider using.

I wonder if they've finally sold the Jedi semen out or whether they've decided to just dump it?

We all know there are better bulls out there, who decides, or advises a company like ABS to go with a line-up like that? No wonder the total hereford semen sales in the USA was an alltime low last year.

I looked on there this week too, I have the same opinion as you. Is that the best they could find? Can we register calves in the US with some semen from some of your bulls Knersie?

RD-Sam":2xsxp6e0 said:
I looked on there this week too, I have the same opinion as you. Is that the best they could find? Can we register calves in the US with some semen from some of your bulls Knersie?

The USDA is dragging their feet to get an import protocol in place. It just didn't seem to be a priority for the last 20 years. Registering the calves won't be a problem as all registered herefords world wide are required to trace back to herdbook volume 36, but getting the semen into the USA will be the problem.

I agree with Knersie on this one!

Wish my ABS rep who fills my tank understood it - he hits me hard on the nitrogen fill price and wonders why I don't use their bulls.

I have had more than one ABS reps tell me they don't really even need hereford bulls in their line-up.

It's been my experience that Genex and Accelerated are the only companies that even care about trying to market some Hereford semen.

Just met a Genex rep today at the feed mill this morning. He used to be a dairyman and now has 4 commercial Hereford cows and services herds in a 6 county area. I told him that I was glad to hear they picked up About Time - he hadn't a clue who I was talking about. He said he has one large dairy and a long long list of 20 cow or less herds he works. He said the only Hereford semen he sells is to people that only care about getting a live calf unassisted - usually crossbred calves. I told him Legend wasnt my cup of tea - but he is great for that purpose.

It's no wonder most people just call Jim Reed.

KNERSIE":3fk4n6fq said:
I just looked through the herefords on the ABS website, what a sorry looking bunch! There is only one polled bull I like the looks of and that is Progression, but his dam must be the ugliest looking, most off type cow I've seen in a long time.

The horned bulls are only slightly better, most are just too big for my liking. For me the stand out bull there is Domino 3027 and really the only ABS bull I would consider using.

I wonder if they've finally sold the Jedi semen out or whether they've decided to just dump it?

We all know there are better bulls out there, who decides, or advises a company like ABS to go with a line-up like that? No wonder the total hereford semen sales in the USA was an alltime low last year.

Knersie,

Why dont you learn to speak your mind? This bashful bent is killing me....
I am not so sure about progress? Although the search for a CE hereford bull is a slippery hill?

I have a couple calves out of harland and more early this fall? Maybe five or six total?

Time will tell? But yea its not a blow me away group?

knersie

What do you think of phantom?

PWPHANTOM.jpg

redfornow":2py3nmjj said:
KNERSIE":2py3nmjj said:

Knersie,

Why dont you learn to speak your mind? This bashful bent is killing me....
I am not so sure about progress? Although the search for a CE hereford bull is a slippery hill?

I have a couple calves out of harland and more early this fall? Maybe five or six total?

Not so sure about his rear legs, I like a little more set and heavier bone.

Time will tell? But yea its not a blow me away group?

I was referring to Progression, not Progress.

What do you think of phantom?

Since you want me to speak my mind... Not much! Decent hindquarter although the pins are too high, very poor topline, not enough flank and a very plain head and neck. Not the type of head I consider as one with HEREFORD breed character.

Thanks!!!

I feel differently about him... But I always like others input? Not gonna use him on the herd just four or five cows?
Still looking for that "one"

As to progession... Ouch! The jury is still out on his sire...I am not sure? The calves I have will not blow you away?
And the dam is as you say "is the ugliest looking, most off type cow I've seen in a long time"

I hardly see how thats "progression"

But maybe I am missing something?

Good luck, I've had a fair few misses and near hits before I found that "one", pity most everybody has in the meantime also discovered him. Luckily semen is very limited and I still have 50 straws in the tank as well as quite a few daughters of breeding age.

KNERSIE":2rhzix6c said:

Good luck, I've had a fair few misses and near hits before I found that "one", pity most everybody has in the meantime also discovered him. Luckily semen is very limited and I still have 50 straws in the tank as well as quite a few daughters of breeding age.

I like the dance...

If I didnt I would just raise pounds....

Worst comes to worst? Thats what I do anyhow?

For the heck of it I pulled up the ABS page after reading your post - clicked to see what they are selling for Herefords in the countries beyond the USA.

link to the Brasil section - interesting to me that they have more info on the US bulls on a Brasil site than the US one

http://www.absnet.com.br/?modulos/abs_p ... tegoria:41

thought some of you interested in Progress/Ribeye/Proficient would like to see the photos not on the US site

BTW Knersie - thought you'd be happy to see there is still some Jedi semen for sale!

KNERSIE":2jtnggro said:
RD-Sam":2jtnggro said:

The USDA is dragging their feet to get an import protocol in place. It just didn't seem to be a priority for the last 20 years. Registering the calves won't be a problem as all registered herefords world wide are required to trace back to herdbook volume 36, but getting the semen into the USA will be the problem.

What do you think about the Herefords that Origen has? http://origenbeef.org/store/index.php?c ... 20ab21dff2

I like Moler and Ranger.

KNERSIE":98lgdgyj said:

The 3027 bull has had more data from his daughters in production come in since he was discussed earlier on this board and the reservations I had at that time have been mostly arrested.

But I was wondering why you don't like Harland, Knersie?

Edited to add: In looking at the ABS bulls again, the only Polled bull I'd use is the "Trend" bull, once i saw more data. But I would use any of the horned bulls they have in the right situation. The Robin Hood bull throws some tremendous calves that I've seen first hand. And 335F and 804 are a couple of "old" standards. And I like both Harland and Yankee.

George

RD-Sam":1vz5zlb0 said:
KNERSIE":1vz5zlb0 said:
RD-Sam":1vz5zlb0 said:

What do you think about the Herefords that Origen has? http://origenbeef.org/store/index.php?c ... 20ab21dff2

I like Moler and Ranger.

It certainly is an offering of much higher quality, every bull on the site has something to offer to most everyone. Its the first time i've seen SHF Moler, I've come the the conclusion quite some time ago that BR Moler ET was the (only?)Online son that actually sires workable cattle. I've always been a fan of the phenotype of the Molers, but knowing Online is only 2 generations away will probably make me shy away from using them.

KNERSIE":ws5duut1 said:
I just looked through the herefords on the ABS website, what a sorry looking bunch!

But - but - but! They've got excellent EPDs!

All kidding aside, you are right I think. They dont exactly blow my mind.

Domino is a standout from all of them.

Would you mind giving your thoughts on Robin Hood?

Would you mind giving your thoughts on Robin Hood?

I like his balance and overall phenotype, but he is too extreme in both size and milk. A +31 milk EPD equates to open cows in tougher conditions. I am not sure the breed needs more frame 8.26 bulls (62.5" mature hip height) His coat quality is also a bit suspect for hotter climates with higher external parasite pressure.

But I was wondering why you don't like Harland, Knersie?

Its mostly a balance thing. I don't mind his front half, but his rear half isn't what I have in my mind's eye as the direction I want to go. In this photo (and its the only one I have seen) he looks like he needs more set to his legs and a little heavier bone also wouldn't have hurt.

And 335F and 804 are a couple of "old" standards. And I like both Harland and Yankee.

I like the type Yankee's sire sired, very functional deep ribbed long muscled cattle, what bothers me about Neon is that I have recently seen a big group of bulls sired by Neon out of probably the best cow herd I have seen and there was a lot of pigeon toed front feet with a corkscrew action when they walked.

335F is a bull that I can't really fault except for a very plain head, but he just doesn't do much for me. At 61" mature hip height (frame 7.5) I would have expected a growthier set of EPDs.

804 is a little light boned and light muscled for me and again at frame 7.5 a little on the extreme side for me. Don't like the fact that I can count 6 ribs.

Did any of you ever use the ABS bull Sky High or SkyWAY, (Name was something like that).. Opinions of him?? My guess is that he would have been in the catalog in the early 1990s maybe. Thanks

Harley,

What do u think about the beckleys ontime bull?
He is out of online? But seems to be middle of the road?
Which in my small mind is a good thing...

As to the high milk #'s with some of the poorer milking lines... They are out there...
A good solid dose of milk wouldn't hurt em.
I would rather have to much than not enough anyday?
But middle of the road is what I have been shooting for?
606 milk number Is high and his daughters are good millers.
But I havnt seen extremes from him yet?

redfornow":1msado01 said:
Harley,

What do u think about the beckleys ontime bull?
He is out of online? But seems to be middle of the road?
Which in my small mind is a good thing...

Have a link?

As to the high milk #'s with some of the poorer milking lines... They are out there...
A good solid dose of milk wouldn't hurt em.
I would rather have to much than not enough anyday?
But middle of the road is what I have been shooting for?
606 milk number Is high and his daughters are good millers.
But I havnt seen extremes from him yet?

Trying to breed milk into a poor milking line is a fool's game at best, anyone who has tried that can testify that results usually vary from disappointing to extremely disappointing.

Too much milk for your environment is in my opinion not any better than not having enough. Usually not having enough means you still get a calf albeit a poor one, too much milk often means a heavier feed bill and often no calf.

I like the looks of the P606 daughters, but have only seen them in photos and have no experience with him.

Latest posts